RE: Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock!

Morning Al,

At 09:16 AM 9/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Steve, Dan- you guys need a financial calculator like the HP 17BII I have.
>It has a complete date arithmetic module that is indispensable to cycle
>counting.  And you can easily keep track of exactly how many days old you
>are!

  Numbers FREAKS always like calculators.  I have an old HP15C and one other,
cant recall the model number.  the 15C only has 400 programmable lines and
I have
had it filled several times.  They are nice indeed.

   The phrase "how many days old you are "caught my attention".  I have a
julian
program I wrote several years back that does that, plus, hours and minutes for
age.    While playing with it for extreme dates, it appears to work back to
-4500
and to + 3000 or so.   I have doubts that it could be correct over such a
range,
but it is very interesting to feed it these unreasonable dates and observe
the effect.

  About 14 years ago, IBM publicly acknowledged that julian dates solve all
date
problems.  They went on to say that julian is messy and troublesome.

  I did the julian about 6 years about while developing a 10,000 line tomato
growing program.

  PLUS...... I think it works on a NON-2000 compliant hardware,  as long as
the
dates are manually input.  They are simply numbers.  If of course one wants to
use SYSTEM DATE for data, then the hardware has to know the year in 4 digits.

  Wayne