Re: commodity traders

Al,

Thanks for your response.  I don't know what time zone you're
in...but I have to get up at 5:30 am and I still miss the
opening for a couple NY markets.  I agree with all that you say.
I only take issue with your comments about not making very many
contributions to the list because your views of TA are different
than most.  It seems to me that your "different" TA views would
be a lot more interesting than my "dribble" about candlesticks
or momentum oscillators (as if those topics haven't been
explored).  I must admit, most of my contributions to the list
are to try to stimulate or provoke responses so I might be able
to learn something new.  Plus, I stink up the joint when it
comes to writing formulas (people have been very kind with their
help).

Because, "we trade our minds", I've considered a lobotomy on
several occasions.  If only I could separate emotions, self
doubt and ego from this math...I might actually be on to
something.  I've tried to emulate the opening scene in
"Caddyshack" when Chevy Chase puts on the blindfold and starts
chanting: "See the ball, be the ball".  Of course, I chant: "See
the market, be the market" and before too long I chicken out and
rip the blindfold off and start trying to find an "evening star"
formation on the charts.  Oh well, at least I realize that I
don't know very much about TA.  What I  know, I try to share.
You're one of the good guys Al; even though you don't have to,
step up to the plate more often.  At least let us watch you take
batting practice!

Steve Karnish
CCT

----------
> From: Al Taglavore <altag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: commodity traders
> Date: Monday, August 31, 1998 2:13 PM
>
> Steve, I sent the post with tongue-in-cheek (check the hour..I
think you
> and I are the only ones on this list up at this hour).
>
> To answer your question, however, I have been taught to sell
new lows and
> buy new highs.  Views on the grains?  I have no views.  I
would be glad to
> share with the list my views on the direction of the DMark and
TBond as you
> have asked, but again, I have no views.  Not trying to be a
smart-ass, but,
> as I have stated in previous posts, I try very hard to have no
bias: just
> trade the markets I follow.  I do understand the postion you
are in:
> advising clients, and that is a heavy responsibility.
>
> Understand my position.  I am like a baseball player in a game
where there
> are no called strikes.  I can sit back and select my position.
 I can go
> days without a position. I do not account to anyone.  Very few
can predict
> a market as poorly as I can.  Larry Connors ("Street Smarts")
went at
> length to explain that if you have a bias, you can miss the
move.  Mark
> Douglas and Bob Koppel have repeatedly preached that you don't
know, you
> will never know, and you don't need to know.
>
> I am slow, and it has taken me two years to understand what
they were
> teaching.  In the last year, I have had one of my most
profitable trading
> years because I realize that I will never know what the next
tick will be,
> or when the trend changes.  I just try to react to whatever
the market is
> doing;  I take my profits too quick.  Bill Williams stated
many times that
> we trade our mind, not the market.
> I do not make a great deal of posts to this List because I
understand that
> my views of TA are not the same as most others.  But I do
glean some very
> good ideas from many of the posts.  Particularly enjoy your
posts along
> with Richard, John, Harvey and Rick, among others.
>
> Al Taglavore
> ----------
> > From: Steve Karnish <kernish@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: Re: commodity traders
> > Date: Monday, August 31, 1998 8:44 AM
> Steve Karnish wrote:
>
> Snip-snip-snip
>
> ... Are you suggesting a short position here?  I'd love to
here your
> > views on the grains.  The grains will bottom in the
immediate