Soros-Politically and Socially Incorrect?

>> It was Soros who generated the run on the British Pound somewhere in 1990/1991.
(I was also part of the herd.)

Soros and the pound - actually nearer to September 1992 I think.  The events in
Fall 1992 will be a time few of us will forget.....a story for another posting.

Soros, nor any group of speculators can be blamed for what has happend in Asia.
Speculators merely saw an opportunity where a number of market parameters were
overpriced - and they jumped on it.  If you spotted a mispricing in a particular
option on T-bonds, would you hesitate in exploiting it?  Even if it the guy on the
other end of the trade would clearly lose money by trading with you?  Our job or
our livelyhood rests on our ability to exploit market opportunities.  Don't get me
wrong; I am not saying we should exploit others for personal gain -there is a line
that must be drawn somewhere, but what I am saying is that speculators have not
crossed that line by pressuring asian financial instruments in the way that they
did and continue to do.

What happended and continues to develop in many regions of the world would have
happened with or without the help of speculators -it just would have taken longer
and the ramifications would have been deeper and far more complex.

Greeenspan noted in early 1995 something along the lines of:
"The new world of financial trading can punish policy misalignments with amazing
alacrity.  This is a lesson repeated time and again, taught most recently by the
breakdown of the EMS in 1992 and the plunge in the value of the Mexican Peso in
1994....In the process of pursuing their domestic objectives, central banks cannot
be indifferent to the signals coming from international financial markets.
Although markets can be harsh teachers at times, the constraints that they impose
discipline our policy choices and remind us every day of our longer run
responsibilities".

Many governemts and so called capitalists should have taken note and learned from
previous boom-bust cycles.

E.