Fw: Weekly Analysis -- July 20, 1998

Already some companies have strongly(30-45%) downgraded their Latin-American subsiduries
first halve year results, due to Asian turmoil hitting Latin Americas currencies and intrest rates
and that of emerging markets in general.

Latin Americas countries are traditionaly heavy "on credit"-consuming economies, eg consumer
goods are bought on credit in stead of cash-payments, and as such these countries hold the
highest ranks in the World for 'buying on credit'.

With their high rising intrest-rates, enabled to have a buffer against the declining of their currencies,
and because its lenders demand higher risk/rewards ratios on top of the already high intrest-rates,
as this region is not highly rated for its credability(Peso-crisis 1994), the effects on regions current
and future economics forecasts can be classified as at least a long term dip, both in present and
next years growth figures.

Western Industrialised companies having economic ties with this region will be efected in both
income from as in exports to this region.
On the other hand goods produced in and imported from the region will be very low priced, due
to falling of its currency-levels, and therefore will lower the importing of inflation, eg goods 'sell'
prices can also remain low, wich puts a downside pressure on the world-wide held cpi-indexes,
the consumer-price indexes.
Therefore partialy, inflation levels will not go up because of these low imports, but the competition
will strongly increase, between products from the region and local produced products, efecting the
Western Industrialised World-countries economics in general and their local companies in particular.

Regards,
Ton Maas
Ms-IRB@xxxxxxxxx