Re: Win 98 installation/upgrade

Earlier I wrote of my severe problems upgrading to Win98 - a real
disaster. Someone on this post said "Format C and start again!"
which I did. Not a procedure for the faint-hearted, I can attest.
My version of Win98 is an upgrade and I was required to show 5
Win3.1 disks to the machine for authentication of my right to
Upgrade. I had previously stored important data on Drive D. No
problems with reinstalling and running Metastock (v6.0) although a
few with another similar program which I will not name. Win98 is
IMHO marginally better and a trifle faster and more stable than
Win95. But I would not have done it if I had known what a Pandora's
Box I was opening.

Donald Webster.

>I have MS 6.5 and am contemplating upgradin to Win98. (will keep this
>short..)
>I have a pentium 200mmx, 3d graphics card, 98meg of ram, and a 2.1 gig
>hard disk with about 300 MB free.
>From what I've seen here it is better to backup my MS files and then
>reformat the HD, install win98 from scratch  and 'restore' my MS files
>from the backup - currently a SparQ I just bought - I used the
>NovaDisk supplied with the SparQ.
>I have an original win 3.1 disk, upgrade version of win95.
>Questions:
>1) How do I avoid having to instll win 3.1 from scratch, then win95
>then win 98 ? Or is the win98 upgrade a 'full version'  that I can
>boot from?
>2) What problems occurred with MStock when you restored it and the
>data files ?
>You can reply directly to save forum mssg space or if you think it
>worthwhile just reply to this mssg. Thanks & apologies to the others
>who weren't interested...
>
>wayne walusiak   waynewal@xxxxxxxxx

Donald MacD.Webster PhD
46 Speight Road,