Re: Printing Explorer Reports

I don’t like MS’s print to file in ASCII format function in 6.5, and have
created a  solution, similar to what Ken provided.  The word processor I use
is Word 6.0.

Open Word.  Reduce the size of Word so that it only takes up part of the
screen (using the “Restore” button in the upper right hand corner of the
screen).  Open MetaStock.  Hit the Restore button so it only takes part of the
screen.  Doing this will allow you to flip between Word and MS without having
to close the Explorer to cut and paste your reports.  You will probably have
to expand (drag) the right hand border of MS so that the Explorer button is
showing.

Run an exploration in MS.  Open the report.  With the first line of the
securities highlighted, hold down the shift key, then use the mouse to scroll
down to the last reported security, and left click on it.  This will select
all the securities in the report.  Then, do a “ctrl-C” (copy), click on Word,
and do an insert (a “ctrl-V” in Word).  For some good reason, this also
inserts the Explorer column headings into Word.  You can then click on MS, run
another exploration and repeat the process.  You will probably have to expand
the page margins in Word, and do a little editing there too, but you can make
a very readable report.

By having both Word (or any other word processor) and MS at less than full
screen size, you can flip between the two with a mouse click, this saves you
from having to completely close the Explorer, and minimize MS in order to
insert the report into Word.

This isn’t the fastest or best way to get the reports to the printer, but its
the best way I have found in the MS 6.0/6.5 era, and also provides an editing
capability.

Jim