Re: A [NOT SO] Stupid Question . . .

-In a DOS-text-file, multiple commands(in DOS="run") can be put on more then one
line for simultanesly executioning and as such, each line is one "run" (to go)
and each command("run") that is executed always returns a message, eg "ok"
"could not find" etc. etc
-The Downloader is still a DOS-basic program(in a Windows environment) and
with "Convert" the Downloader runs as the Executioner of these DOS commands,
and thus once executed, will also get these messages returned
-In your ASCI file each line is a command-line, standard/common in any DOS-program,
and holds particular data for each single one of the securities
-By running the "Convert"-Tool the in the daily ASCI update-files present (command)
lines will then get executed(="run") and will update to the MS-data files AND returning
the "natural" command messages as reports("error" "ok" etc., see "DOS" above)
-For each single line a corresponding security will get updated in the "destination"
folder, wich is the adress you have typed(in the "Convert"-dialog window) to convert too
-When you apply "Traverse Destination Folders" it will also look for that security
in EACH one of the folders inclusive and underneath this destination folder, no matter
what names these folders do have("A" "B" "C" or "All" or " Best" or "Curr" etc. etc.)
-If in the above mentioned ASCI file there are more securities lines(one line=1 security)
present then the lines for the already excisting securities will update(=returning "ok")
and the other lines will create their destination, eg the new securities(=returning "ok")
-If, however, you have turned off the option "Create New Files" then YOU have instructed
to cancel futher processing at this point for that particular line(=returning "Unable to
start new destination file") and the procedure will continue on with the next available
line(s) and when finished a conversion-report will be made and displayed
-Here then, we will find an overview of the (succesfully) finished commands(lines), wich
with the use of the Active Filters either in the error, warning or in the ok form, are then
displayed as the above mentioned messages.

These messages are "friendly" harmless errors, unlike the "un-friendly" error messages
wich one can get displayed during the update-process, eg when there are TRUE errors.
>From the above obstruction of the "run"(convert) wich is "blocking" this update-process
creating new securities, the next solutions can be made, either:
1. In your ASCI file filter/delete the unwanted securities' lines before running in "Convert"
    f.i. done with programs such as FGREP or ClockMan95. (Have no clue as to how that's
    done but these programs are capable to "intrude" and do changes to text, eg C, C & P)
2. In "Convert" turn on "Create New Files", and hold "your wanted" securities in the
    main-destination-folder and let "Convert" create as many sub-folders as it requires
    Then write a DOS text, i.e. batch file:
    -on the first line running the Downloader, wich then, when it has finished, returns to this
       batch-file for the execution of its next command-line
    -on the second line delete the unwanted sub-folders(also auto includes their contents)
        and use " * " as the wildcard for the sub+subs folders
3. Turn off "Create New Files" and have the "friendly" errors as messages displayed in
     the conversion-report and ignore them(Like ignoring some of the(in) Win95 messages).

Note that neither "Traferse Folders" turned ON or OFF will stop "Convert" from displaying
these friendly Active Filter errors(i.e. "cannot create", also see DOS above).

Note too, that this is the way "old hat" DOS functions, and therefore also DOS-dependancies
like Windows95 AND Downloader. Though, this dependancy on Old Timer is long overdue.
About time these programs become TRUE Windows programs
(and skip the Dark Overreacting command System).

Thanks for sending on Equis Supports' George's view + his solution in solving,

Regards,
Ton Maas
Ms-IRB@xxxxxxxxx