RE: Stock Terms

Buy Long-to buy a stock, option or future contract.
Sell Short- to sell without previously owning it. Usually it is borrowed by the broker from another client that owns it. You are obligated to buy it later and the broker then replaces it where he borrowed it from.
Sell Long is to sell a position you have taken in the past.
Cover a short is to purchase the unit that you had sold in the past via a sell short.

I think the terms enter and close are the entry and exit of a short or long position. Hope this helps.
John Sellers
Torrance, CA
USA