Re: Discount broker goes bust?

Bill Saxon wrote:

> The old saying is that competition is good for business, but it is
> Hell to compete with.  These discount brokers are in a competitive
> business.
>
> I was thinking of transferring some money to that little guy Brown.
> $5 a trade sounds great.  What happens if they go bankrupt?  I know
> there is insurance, so I wouldn't lose my securities or cash, but is
> the account in limbo for months while justice slowly grinds?  That
> could be a disaster.

If you will check into the company, you will find that the parent of
Brown&Co. is one of the major banks in New York.  Several years ago,
when I was looking for a discount broker, I had the same concerns you
mentioned.  I have used Brown and have been pleased with their service.
Just today, I placed a market order to add to my HDI position, and, for
the first time that I can recall, I got the bid price.  I cannot recall
the name of their parent, although I get that info in the quarterly
reports.  If you go to their website, you will see the parent, I
believe.

Al Taglavore