RE: Times are a changing? Bonds&Equities

Jerry

Good points that I hadn't thought of.

I have made no determination that 'the market is too high.'  I'm strictly a
short term, contrarian trader, who spends from 1 day to a maximum of a
couple of weeks in a position.  I gave up trying to determine where the
market was going a long time ago :).  We trade strictly the S&P futures and
only play probabilities.  We 'know' that we're going to be right about 75%
of the time, based upon probabilities.  For the record, and to describe our
backgrounds, my dad has a Masters from the University of Michigan in
Statistical Economics.  He's 89 this month and has been trading futures for
over 60 years.  My brother has degrees in Engineering Math and Engineering
Physics plus a Masters in Business, also from the University of Michigan.
He's 54 and has been trading for approximately 35 years.  I am the dumb one
:).  I partied at the University of Michigan for 4 + years in Engineering
and finally graduated from Wayne State with a degree in Market Research with
multiple majors in math, statistics and economics.  I am all but
(dissertation) on my MBA with a major in International Finance.  I'm 60 and
have traded futures for over 40 years.  With this type of background it's
easy to see why we're strictly technical traders.  We feel that the
fundamentals are already in the market (by the time we discover it) and that
this is reflected in the market's price activity.

Having begun my career after college with IBM (1961), I have been through
these low inflation cycles, the booms, smaller busts, etc.  In the early 60s
I remember giving people a 1.5% or 2% annual raise and they were happy,
especially with no inflation.  Unfortunately, I do see some differences
here.

My dad has a methodology that he developed over the years to forecast market
moves (similar to Elliot waves).  He called the 87 crash and after 4 days or
so, called me astonished, to tell me that the Bear market had ended, and
that we were back on our way up.  Since then, all of his attempts to
estimate the market top have been for naught.  I wouldn't bet a nickel on
when this move is going to end because I never would have anticipated a 15
year move up.  BTW, he feels that we've reached the top and the bull market
is over.  He hasn't been really accurate in calling the exact top for the
last few years, so take this forecast at face value.  It's worth what you
paid for it :).

I, FWIW, sense that we have just gone through an important, fundamental
'change'.  I don't know what happened or what it means, other than according
to our numbers, something has happened.  I don't know if what I saw was the
cause or the effect.  It's the first fundamental change we've seen in the
last 12 years.  We seem to be seeing increased volatility in our market (S&P
futures).  If we decouple the Bonds, our system shows 11 trades since May
1st, all of them profitable.  Our actual trading system, during that same
time period, was right for 7 out of 8 trades.  Don't get me wrong.  These
numbers are unbelievable.  Almost like Jim and his Amazon call.  It's just
that I feel they are a little 'too good'.  In the last 6 weeks, we made
profits that would normally have taken 26 weeks.  Something's not right,
IMHO.  Something fundamental has changed or is changing.  The only thing I
can put my hands on is our increased trading volatility and the decoupling
of the Bonds.  Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm starting to worry.

FWIW, we're short  the S&P September futures at 1130.75.