Future REF() function

Dear List,

   I am doing an exploration without any filter.  I simply want the
values of a few things computed and I sort by them.  I place the
formulas I want in the columns and I'm happy.

   EXCEPT for the ref() function.  If I want the close from 5 periods
PAST, the ref(close,-5) works fine.  But if I want the close from 5
periods FUTURE (backtesting, obviously) the opposite
ref(close,5) or ref(close,+5) simply returns "N/A" to me in the column's
results.  Does anyone know what gives?

  ...and yes, there is 5 periods of data in front of the day being
tested.  ...and yes, I am using the specific date option in the
explorer.

   Here's the exploration text:

Exploration notes

Col A: Yestrday	Ref(C,-1)
Col B: Today	C
Col C: Tomorrow	Ref(C,1)

Filter enabled	No
Periodicity	Daily
Records required	2

The results from a May 20, 1998 exploration look like this (my data
files on all these are current through 6/2/98):

Security Yestrday   Today  Tomorrow  Ticker
SYNTEL	 24.6250   24.0625    N/A     SYNT
XYLAN	 28.3750   27.8125    N/A     XYLN
ZONAGEN	 35.0000   35.2500    N/A     ZONA

As you can see, the exploration text says only 2 records required, but
it's obvious that to have the closing prices from three days we'd need
to access 3 records -- I dunno whats wrong here.

TIA to anyone who knows the answer!