Re: Automation: ClockMan95

Having seen John Smarts' scripts, I do think MacroScheduler is quicker to learn.
ClockMan95 is more advanced, but no problem either.

For some straight forward routines I will check out Macro Scheduler too.
Nice, neat and friendly. All we need in them for us to be productive, and soon.

BTW I've send these on with pleasure.

Regards,
Ton Maas
Ms-IRB@xxxxxxxxx

Here is the adress and a copy from some info-sheets.

http://www.graphicaldynamics.com

Welcome to ClockMan95    -   (Reference: The WIL-help file):
-ClockMan is an event scheduler.  Event schedulers date back to the old
days of mainframes and minicomputers.  Like everything else about them,
using them was best left to experts.  Event schedulers can be found
today from vertical applications still found on the big machines to the
UNIX cron to the NT scheduling service to the System Agent found in
the Plus! Pack of Windows95.  There are a number of commercial and
third-party programs trying to do the job better.
-ClockMan95 marries two powerful tools to produce what we think is the
best event scheduler for Windows at any price:  a robust easy-to-use
program with a powerful batch-like language.
-The Automation Assistants(AA) in ClockMan95 give users easy access to
automating commercial applications like never before.  With a few
mouse clicks you can automate much of the best software available
for Windows95.
-What do you want to learn?
  <>  What are Automation Assistants?
  <>  How to use ClockMan (detailed walk-through)
  <>  What is WIL?
  <>  Sending Keystrokes to DOS apps
Automation Assistants
-Automation Assistants are designed to change the way we all look
at automating PCs.  This latest feature to ClockMan addresses a
common concern we heard from our loyal customers.
"ClockMan is great and I use it a lot, but I don’t have the time to become
an expert at automating my PC!"
-We found this sentiment coming from brand new computer users as well
as seasoned programmers.  We’d like to claim some grand insight that
led us to incorporate Automation Assistants, but it was the feedback
from our customers who made this indispensable feature a reality.
-Automation Assistants allow you to quickly walk though a series of simple,
straight-forward decisions.  Then ClockMan takes over.  ClockMan will
automatically generate a custom WIL script to automate complex tasks,
assign them to occur on the times you specify and that’s it.
-ClockMan has Automation Assistants designed for the following best
selling commercial programs:

  ScanDisk (disk utility that ships with Windows95)
  Disk Defragmenter (disk utility that ships with Windows95)
  Norton Utilities for Windows95
  Norton AntiVirus for Windows95
  McAfee VirusScan95
  NavCIS from Dvorak Development
  OzCIS (for DOS) from Ozarks West Software
  OzWIN from Ozarks West Software
  TapCIS ver. 6.0 from Support Group, Inc.
  PointCast by PointCast Development
  Diskeeper from Executive Software
  Norton Defragmenter for Windows NT 4.0
  Eudora from Qualcomm
  Netscape Mail from Netscape Communications
  Pegasus Mail by David Harris
  Agent and Free Agent from Forté
  MetaStock from Equis
  AntiSpam built completely from the WIL language
  Time synchronizer built completely from the WIL language
-And this is just the beginning.  We plan to make available more
Automation Assistants on a demand basis.  The most popular
applications will get Automation Assistants.  However, if your
app is a one-of-a-kind or a product you developed and you
would like ClockMan’s Automation Assistants to support your
product, consider the Automation Assistant Software
Developer Kit (SDK).
-You’ll want to check in with our WWW or BBS on a periodic
basis to see the latest Automation Assistants.  They come
as DLLs, and you simply copy them into your AA directory
beneath your ClockMan directory.  The next time you start
ClockMan, it will recognize and automatically initialize any
new Automation Assistants you’ve added.

Using ClockMan
-ClockMan was designed with automation as it’s key function.
However, it has been constantly improved since it was first
introduced back in 1991.  Customers wanted more power and
they didn’t want to have to be an expert to use it.  ClockMan is
evolving to accommodate these wishes and now it’s more easy
to use than ever and has more of the power our customers have
been asking for.
-The basic component of ClockMan is it’s alarms.  Alarms can be
as simple as reminding you of an important event or automating
a series of nightly maintenance routines.
-Alarms have three components:
  1.when they occur
  2.the message they display
  3.and the action they take.

What is WIL?  (Reference: Step by step-guide to learning WIL(build-in).)
-Windows Interface Language (WIL) is an easy-to-use yet very powerful
general-purpose programming language with over 500 functions for file
management, sending keystrokes, disk drive management, directory
management, binary file access, multimedia support, DDE support,
clipboard handling, system control, program management, string
handling, displaying information, user prompting, window management,
floating point & integer arithmetic, execution control and more.
-Many operations that require pages of code in other programming
languages can be accomplished with a single WIL function call.

WILScripts and WinEdit
-WIL scripts are written in a plain text file, which can be created by
Notepad or most word processors. (Of course, we recommend our
own WinEdit, which has many features designed expressly for
programmers(VB), including a full-featured implementation of WIL itself).
-These text files can take one of two forms, depending on your

particular implementation of WIL: batch files or menu files.

Batch Files
-A batch file is simply a list of WIL commands and function
  calls, executed in order (just like the old DOS batch language.)

Menu Files
-A menu file is similar to a batch file, except that multiple

chunks of WIL code are organized into menu and sub-menus,
and each routine is launched by pressing the appropriate
keystroke or selecting an item from the menu. (The name and
location of the menus vary depending on the particular
implementation of WIL menu files.)

Sending Keystrokes to DOS apps
-If you're running Windows in Enhanced mode, ClockMan can send
keystrokes to a DOS app running in a window.  You can send any
keystroke to a DOS app that you would to a Windows app (unlike
trying to use the Edit|Paste selection in the app's System menu).

Note:
-When automating DOS applications, turn the Exclusive Flag Off.
You must ensure the DOS application or .PIF file runs with the
Exclusive flag turned off; otherwise the keystrokes will never get sent.
-The Background flag can be on or off.

Don't Overrun the Buffer.
-Unlike when sending keystrokes to a
Windows app, you must take care to avoid overrunning the
DOS box's keyboard buffer, which is only 16 characters long.

Get to know the {#wait secs} command.
-Give the DOS App Time to Start Up.  There are two parameters you
can change to slow down the keystrokes when sending to
a DOS app - the delay before the first keystroke, and the delay
between keystrokes.  You change these in the Advanced Options dialog.