Re: Tracking Portfolio Trades using MetaStock

Hello Dean:

You wrote:

>>I've made a suggestion that in a future version, my wish list, MetaStock
>>will allow a person to enter portfolio information (buy, sell) onto the
>>charts so that investors can evaluate their performance over time.  I'd like
>>to conveniently see if my trades were done at the right time.  Did I buy too
>>early, too late or just right.  The same would go for stock sells.

A portion of what you talk about exists in MetaStock at the current time, if
you believe the documentation.  From the toolbar select "Insert", then from
this list select "Symbol".  There you will find a variety of symbols that you
can attach to the chart under/over the price bar on the date that you entered
your position.  Then, just below this, or actually any place you wish, you can
select "text" from the vertical scrolling toolbar, and type in the date, entry
price and any other information you want to include.  Then, you save this as a
unique chart and this information is supposed to be available as the
data/price bars are updated.

I began doing this in about MS 3.0 or 4.0 when text on the chart became
available.  However, I discovered that over time MS drops arrows, and text,
and I went round and round with MS Tech Support regarding this problem,
finally giving up trying to make it work consistently.  I find that MS 6.5
doesn't handle this any better, but you might play around with it and have
better luck with it than I did.

Jim Brewster