Re: Multi-Period Indicators

Hi Richard,

I ranted several months back to Equis and others on the list that the MS
implementation of VMA was botched. I based  this by just eyeballing a chart
and being puzzled by the VMA's lack of sensitivity compared to equivalent
"slower" MAs like the EMA and SMA. Moreover, after reading the formula
presented on p.461 of the MS6.5 manual I felt vindicated in my assumption.

Fortunately, someone did the grunt work (I'm habitually lazy!) of manually
checking the VMA indicator output and confirmed the MS6.5 implementation of
the VMA using Chande's 9-day absCMO was dead-on. The user manual was just in
error.

That got me thinking about why the VMA indexed to the CMO didn't deliver on
sensitivity. The answer then hit me over the head! The absCMO is bounded
between 0-1. Using this as the indexing factor would naturally lead to a
less sensitive indicator. Why Chande suggests on p68 of his book that using
any index that varies between 0-1 is appropriate has mystified me,
especially since the other indexing examples he provides clearly aren't
bounded.

It seems to me then that using VMA indexed to standard deviation or other
unbounded indicators is more appropriate. Any ideas as to why absCMO is seen
as a better choice? Is the math just evading me?

regards,
rick