Re: Why do trading gurus market services?

Hi Lionel,

Right you are about drawdowns. They are statistically meaningless and are
usually reported in trading software for the traders "peace of mind."

Drawdown is uncontrollable and is a necessary evil of any trading system.
What is controllable, at least more or less, is the size of the largest
loss. How you control the largest loss and its frequency is the crux of the
money management strategy. Whether you use a fixed percentage price stops
like 2%, options or a diversified portfolio as a hedge, or just limit
yourself to daytrading to eliminate price gap risk, the money management
strategy is the key. I myself found John Sweeney's concept of Maximum
Adverse Excursion to fit very nicely with my trading ideas.

If you want to measure the downside of a system, look no further than the
biggest losing trade. To measure overall system performance, I've been using
Ralph Vince's Pessimistic Return Ratio.

Hope this helps,

rick