Re: After Market Closes Trading

Nothing shady.  Stocks trade aftermarket on Instinet, which is a privately
operated computer only trading entity.  Just like if I wanted to sell you
some stock at an offer price and you accepted it.  Bonds, currencies, and
the S&P trade on Globex almost 24 hours a day.  Most all major world
exchanges have after hour trading.  As to your friends stop order.  A stop
order becomes a market order when the security trades at or thru the stop
price.  Therefore, when the market opened gap down, your friends order was
treated as a market order and filled at the price prevalent at the time.
This can happen any time a security opens gap down from the previous
regular session market close. If your friend did not choose to sell at the
market open, (CNBC had widely announced the earnings disappointment) he
could have cancelled the stop BEFORE the market opened.  I have been there
several times.  Treat it as tuition.

Al Taglavore