[amibroker] Re: Multiple Strategy System

Hello David,

Thanks for keepting discussion on this issue going.

I tried MSA a few years back .... thought it was one of the better tools around. It seems to have developed a bit since then.

It has been reported in this forum before (as a MonteCarlo tool).

A couple of questions to help me with my own private efforts:

> I faced the same issue except I have 12 models

I assume you mean 12 systems?

> I decided to run my models separately in AmiBroker and then export the trades to a database.

So you are running all 12 systems over the same data and timeframe to get the trade series for each?

Are you collecting the trade series as $, points or %?

How do you export to a database?

Which database?

>The caveat is that MSA uses trade information for all it's >statistics and has no knowledge of the chart data used to create >those trades.

IMO using mathematical models, based on the trade series, considered as the return of the investment, is the best way to compare portfolio outcomes. As Howard pointed out in one of his posts, we do have to be very careful when making assumptions based on non-correlation because it can disapear quite quickly (I believe non - correlation, between instruments and markets etc, has been falling, over the last decade or two, because of the growth in algorithmic trading and/or analysis.)

 >So statistics like Max System Drawdown are different than the much >more accurate AmiBroker MDD because AmiBroker can look at each chart >bar and determine the actual intra-trade MDD while MSA only knows >the entry and exit prices of each trade.

Do you find that open trade drawdown is important?
I tend to think that it is irrelevant if the system  uses stops .... any intratrade loss must always be less than the stop loss or the trade would have closed, on stop?

I am also inclined to the view that intratrade equity is a hypothetical figure ... the outcome of the trade isn't known until it is closed.

Here is the link to Howard's post that I referred to prev.
He says that he is including Portfolio Construction in his next book (Advanced AB) ... due out at the end of 09.

KEYWORDS

OPTIMAL PORTFOLIO CONSTRUCTION MODELING

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/