Re: [amibroker] Re: Do all trading systems stop working? - Howard Bandy's book

  • To: brian_z111 <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Do all trading systems stop working? - Howard Bandy's book
  • From: Herman <psytek@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 04:01:00 -0400

Title: Re: [amibroker] Re: Do all trading systems stop working? - Howard Bandy's book

Brian, often people waste a lot of time trying to call something black or white; you learn more if you try looking at the grey stuff in between.

Of course there are 'systems' that last forever. Buy-n-hold, trend following, or rotational trading are trading systems to some. It all depends on your criteria of what makes a trading system. Then there are highly optimized trading systems that will, as one would expect, fade in and out of Performance. Some systems will, with some discretionary input, keep working forever while for a true mechanical trader these systems will fail. What may be a great trading idea to one person may be a joke to another.

However, if you must have an answer I think it is best to err on the safe side and say that ALL systems will eventually fail. Overconfidence in any system may end up costing you dearly.

Best regards,

herman