Re: [amibroker] Re: Files to copy to laptop?

I've been doing some experimenting.  My Amibroker folder presently contains 583,446,650 bytes.  It takes more than 15 minutes to 'copy' it to an external USB hard drive, and more than 20 minutes to a USB thumb drive.  However, only about 1.5 minutes to Zip it to the same USB thumb drive.  (I won't have any numbers for WiFi for awhile yet.)

So, I'm expecting that my Desktop<>Laptop strategy in the future may look something like this:
On laptop, zip all of Amibroker to file called "Amibroker on Laptop.zip".
On desktop, zip all of Amibroker to file called "Amibroker on Desktop.zip".
Before switching computers, copy most recent .zip file to 'other' computer.
Extract files from latest .zip into Amibroker folder prior to running on 'other' computer.

This should be fast, easy, and safe, even when doing all of Amibroker.
Added benefit, is backup of both computers on both computers.
You can limit the zipped files to just the necessary ones.  But I'm beginning to think it's not worth the effort.

I'll update, when I get some numbers on WiFi, and some history doing it.
-- Keith

Keith McCombs wrote:

Thank you for your replies.
Dingo --
Coping all is the easiest and safest, and I should do it, time permitting.  However, sometimes I'm in a big hurry to get out the door and copying 600M+ over WiFi may make me late.

Ed --
That's the kind of info I was looking for.  In fact, all I was missing (this time) was broker.newcharts.

What I will probably try to do is set up two batch files to handle the problem, "CopyABSafe" and "CopyABHurry".
Thanks to both of you.
-- Keith

Ed Hoopes wrote:

I have used the instructions below several times to copy AB to my laptop when I travel.

The only problem is that the laptop screen has a different aspect ratio, so each of your chart views have to be re-sized and saved.

ReefBreak

AB must be installed on the target machine before you start.
AB should not be running on either machine, all files should be closed.

1. Copy the stocks database folder
copy c:\YourLocation\US-Stocks to the target computer
2. Copy the formulas folder
copy c:\Program Files\AmiBroker\Formulas to the target computer
3. Copy the broker.newcharts file
Copy c:\program files\amibroker\broker.newcharts to the target computer
4. Copy the Layouts folder
Copy c:\Program files\Amibroker\Layouts to the target computer
5. Copy the Watchlist files
copy c:\yourlocation\*.tls to the target computer

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxps.com, dingo <waledingo@x..> wrote:

> why wouldn't you just copy the enitre AB directory over?

> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Keith McCombs <kmccombs@xx.>wrote:
>
> > I like to have my desktop and laptop computers match as far as Amibroker
> > is concerned. Usually I don't have a problem.
> >
> > However, recently, on my desktop, I wrote some new .afl code using
> > Plot() and ChartId(). I copied the .afl code from my desktop to my
> > laptop. I also copied the corresponding .awl layout file to the
> > matching folder in my laptop.
> >
> > The charts for the new code display a message, "ERROR: Formula file not
> > found or empty - no chart to display". Older .afl code displays the
> > charts just fine.
> > I use exactly the same path structure on both computers, and all .afl
> > code, new and old are in the same folder. Also, I checked that the
> > values for ChartId in the code match those displayed in the charts'
> > parameter windows.
> >
> > I am guessing that there are one or more files that I must copy over,
> > but which ones?
> >
> > As a general rule, I would like to keep my desktop and laptop synced up
> > without copying ALL files every time I switch computers.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> > -- Keith
> >

> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > **** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****
> > This group is for the discussion between users only.
> > This is *NOT* technical support channel.
> >
> > TO GET TECHNICAL SUPPORT send an e-mail directly to
> > SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
> >
> > TO SUBMIT SUGGESTIONS please use FEEDBACK CENTER at
> > http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/
> > (submissions sent via other channels won't be considered)

> > http://www.amibroker.com/devlog/
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/