[amibroker] Re: OT: Computer recommendation for AB optimizing

Dang! A bit of a false alarm in being able to run 8 instances in parallel. I had assumed (always a mistake) that the runs went smoothly. But when I checked my PC this morning, found out that the runs did not actually complete. The PC must have crashed and rebooted somewhere in between.

So I restarted, this time, using only 4 instances, and sat in front of the screen for a few minutes. Indeed, the system crashed with a "Memory management error"!

Damn! With 12GB of ram on Vista64 with an i7 processor (seen as 8 processors by the OS), shouldn't I be able to run 4 measly instances of AB, each doing an optimization over 2-years worth of 1-minute data? The total size of my symbol database is only 156mb.

It's a new PC with a fresh install, and only Avast anti virus running at startup. The only other programs installed are AB, Firefox, Office 2003 and Thunderbird. And when I run AB, all other programs are closed.

Is there some memory management utility I can run that can better allocate memory?

Or is Vista64 really no better than plain old WinXP32, as far as being able to run more instances of AB on a single machine? I thought that one of the main advantages of Vista64 over XP32 was precisely the ability to make more RAM available for multiple instances of a program.

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/