Re: [amibroker] Re: OT: Computer recommendation for AB optimizing

Ozzy --
What makes you think that, given the same hardware, Vista64 allows you to run more instances of AB than XP64?

TJ --
Thanks for your comments on the subject.  Admittedly, I didn't understand how he was doing the testing.

All --
Once again I would like to suggest:
"How about writing some benchmarks in afl?  I assume the code wouldn't have to be very complex, nor would it have to be for any sort of 'winning' system.  Just something that everyone could run and we could get some comparative speed results."  We might also need to make a static artificial data base so that everyone was running the same test.

That would help many of us when it comes time to buy a new, or update an older, computer.
-- Keith

ozzyapeman wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.

My understanding then, based on what I can gather from the net, is that Windows Vista 64-bit will give me the sole advantage of allowing me to run many more instances of AmiBroker, especially with the i7 processor and 12 GB of RAM, vs on WinXP.

In that way, I can run more large optimizations simultaneously, without running out of memory, thus saving a lot of time overall.

I had come across one article that tested as much, with other 32-bit apps running on XP32 vs Vista64, and the difference in multitasking ability was huge.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxps.com, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx> wrote:

> Those Windows Vista tests were made using Microsoft SQL server.
>
> AmiBroker does NOT use Microsoft SQL server or any other 3rd party DB.
> It uses own original low-level database that is highly specialized
> for quote processing is pretty independent from operating system.
> It works equally well on every Windows version
> (starting from Win95 and ending at Windows 7).
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****