[amibroker] Re: How to Set Position by Volatility?

Hi,

What's so silly about using the same position size for DRYS and MSFT? If your strategy predicts equal expected profit for either position, then an equivalent position size (as expressed as percentage of equity) is entirely rational. If you were meaning position size as expressed in numbers of shares, then yes, that would not make sense.

As for your question. I believe that PositionSize is an array like any other (it's been a while since I've used it since my position sizes are all calculated within custom backtest logic).

That being the case, you can use any amount of calculations when settings its value, resulting in potentially different values per bar.

For example; if you never want to bet more than 5% of equity on any one position, and you want to limit the size of your position based on some calculation of volatility, then just express PositionSize as a ratio of -5 (negative values indicate percentage of equity).

e.g.

MaxSize = -5;
Ratio = ... // Volatility ratio
PositionSize = Ratio * MaxSize.