[amibroker] Re:FT Monitor/AB Conference [was Re: AmiBroker 5.23.0 BETA released]

All -

I'll probably regret jumping into this, but I'm just trying to offer
some additional info that may be of some use.

A little background - I got to know Richard fairly well in helping him
with 6 conferences and speaking at all of them.  Amibroker content was
involved in all of them, and became the majority over time.  As a test,
a few of us also ran a Amibroker webinar test in 2005 with about 25
people.

BOTTOM LINE - physical conferences are hands down the most valuable.
The relationships that you make as valuable as the information in the
presentations.  The issue is that they are costly both to put on and to
attend, and it is a business for Richard.  Without divulging details,
I'll mention that breakeven is about 35-40 people and 65 makes for a
reasonable profit.  I think that given what attendance might have been
this year with the bear market,  that Richard made a reasonable decision
to forego this year.

The web conference that I did as a test was done in 2005 was through
HotComm.  Couple of reasons for that choice.  We wanted users to be able
to talk and many had headsets.  Hotcomm has this capability, but
unfortunately, this requirement limits the potential audience size
because delays in the relay server are not tolerated well.  Other
approaches that are streaming output only and chat window input, are
more scalable.  An example of this would be UStream, which did the
inauguration, but is more of a streaming video solution.  We also needed
to reasonable screen resolution in order to show charts.  This also
affects scalability and vendor choice.  I'm sure that technology has
improved, but there are challenges - even some that seem trivial, but
are not.  For example, just finding an acceptable time for all in 4 U.S.
time-zones proved to be an issue.

BTW, for that webinar, presentations were prepared and Q&A time was
allotted.  A test site was set up to allow attendees to check their
connection and headset beforehand.  I had talked Hotcomm into a free
test with a 25 person limit, but the economics of paying for the ongoing
hosting of sporadic events would have proved an issue - perhaps that has
changed.  I knew all who attended, so I guess you would have to say that
we had friendly critics.  Put bluntly - on balance, it worked, but was a
hassle to get the benefits of 1) a web event and 2) real-time Q&A.

To echo Howard's comment - I'm sure that based on talks with Richard, he
would consider doing another one.  And, maybe, every other year would be
more sustainable.

And, Herman, I agree with many of your points.  There are other
approaches, though.

-- Bruce R

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/