[amibroker] Re: Monte Carlo analysis for trading systems

>- when I wanted to do the FDist I used Excels roundup so that the
>task of doing that manually

I hadn't used Roundup before ... I didn't read the fine print ...
being an intuitive I just rummaged around in the Excel function list
until I found something that 'rang my bell'
- I plugged it in at it looked like what I needed
- I was probably some were floating around in 'blue sky' and not
checking all of the little details
- later I noticed in the FDist I didn't have zero ... huh? ....made a
note of it with a question mark and kept 'flying the blue sky'
- eventually I figured that Roundup takes it away the Random dataset
away from zero's ... too late to go back and rework laf the file ...
the graph was lookoing like an oil painting so I quit while I was
ahead

Re growth factor and B/E trades etc:

Howard notes in his QTS book that recording trades as % mucks up mean
and StDev calcs ... this is annoying because mean and StDev are
beautiful and elegant stats and very useful to boot.

Using GrowthFactor has some advantages .... it syncs well with
RalphVince (who has had more interesting things to say about
evaluation than  most) and it also gives us meaningful stats when we
evaluate our 'trade sample space' (the trade series our system
produces when it is presented with OOS data).

If we record trades as GF (1.03), instead of % (3) the mean of our TS
== 1 (for a break even system) and we get the StDev and the Z's etc
without any problems.

Using GF a for a BreakEven trade:

equity = 10000;// (or 1 doesn't matter ... 1 is a standard notation)

trade == 1.0;// it can be with or without commission, doesn't matter
for conceptual analysis

equity outcome == 10000 * 1.0 == 10000;//no change in equity

We do get a change in geomean because GM is calculated using the nth
root of the periods and we have added some periods to our backtest
(periods == total periods == total(time in trade + time out of trade)

OR (ave time in trade + ave time out of trade)* number of trades

... or something like that

Probably this will be covered again at my site ... by now long term
readers should be used to the fact I repeat the basics over and over
from many different angles (ref Carl Jung how the holsitic aspect of
our psyche perambulates when dissertating).

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxx> wrote:

> Hi Y
>
> > Why did you exclude the trades with no loss and no gain?
>

> First you have to understand the context of what I am doing:
>
> - I am a maths layperson who stumbled on BiSim
> - I decided to share it with the community because I had mumbled
> about it a few times and decided it was time to cough up
> - for now lets just say it has academic, or educational interest
only
> - I am working live, which means:
>  I could spend 2 years full time turning it into a book but
decided,
> instead, to 'write my book live' ... I don't want to give up 2-3
> years of my life and I also want to do it that way ... people can
> interact and see my mistakes and corrections as I go along ...
posts
> will change and disapear ... the order of the posts (chapters) will
> change ... the book might not have an ending (it might just
stop) ...
> the book might not have a definite or complete structure ... gaps
> will probably be left and the readers will have to close those gaps
> by themselves ... someone may email me an extension or a
> refutation ... if I like it and it is good I will add it to the
> book ... someone could, theoretically take over the book or the
> site ... I am a NewAge guy and I like working with group
dynamics ...
> I am just not sensitive so that makes me a NAG and not a SNAG ;-)
>
> - my files are working files ... I went from one file to the next
> investigating all sorts of ideas ... so the files got dirtier as I
> went along because I just copy/pasted the file and starting the new
> work on top of the old files
>
> - when I am working on a project I guess my way around  a lot of
the
> time so I don't mind being quick and dirty with the method as long
as
> it is accurately exposing the concept in my mind e.g. I haven't got
> all of Excel loaded (the part that does freq dist) .. couldn't be
> bothered figuring out how to do that so I did the FDists
manually ..
> [...]
> go to Aronson, or Vince etc, to see what they say about that, if
> anything, and whether their opinion is consistent with my lab
> obsvervations .. a huge advantage for a non-mathematician wouldn't
> you say?
>

> Real life trading, BiSim and the future:
>
> - in real life we do get B/E trades
> - individual traders have to make a personal choice about how they
> will define a B/E trade and when and how to deal with that in their
> evaluations ... that doesn't only apply to BiSim
> - some traders want to analyse trade - slippage - commissions (fair
> enough and that is up to them)
> - I am finding it challenging to think about all of this as it is
so
> for simplicity I have left out slippage/commissions for now
> - I am an intuitive .. I am interested in the concepts (conceptual
> analysis) ... that is my strength and I am sharing that with the
> community  ... others are stronger subjective analysts and they
share
> code/maths etc
> - at this stage I am exposing the concepts and trying to put others
> in the picture by going around the subject from different angles
> - later I might, or someone might, work on the real uses for BiSim
(I
> think I have a lot of it in my head anyway just waiting for me to
> download it on to paper) ... when we get to that stage it will be
> time to consider how to put B/E trades into the equation
> - because I am working live I will discover, and resolve, issues as
> go along ... if I can't resolve them my thesis crashes and burns OR
> at least remains as an educational exercise ... I have already
learnt
> so much from it
> - when I started posting on it I didn't know I was going to publish
> the maths expression because I didn't have it ... once I started to
> think about BiSim again (because I decided to share it) the maths
> stuff popped into my head ... I don't know what issues are ahead
and
> what solutions will pop into me 'ead.
> - technically speaking equity outcomes are lognormal ... at the
> application phase we will explore the antilog distribution ...
> personally I will be using the GeoMean so B/E trades don't affect
> that analysi or the resultant equity curve for that matter (they
only
> impact on annualised returns since you were in the trade but it was
> a  fizzer == GrowthFactor = = zero ... this reduces your annual
> return (when you standardise it to one year) because the total time
> you were in and out of the trades is part of the annualised
> calculations ... at the CoreMetrics level a B/E trade doesn't count
> for much (a coin can't land on it's edge) ... many times in this
> forum I have cautioned traders against the fixation that many have
of
> focussing on the equity curve ... especially if you only have one
OOS
> equity curve to look at ... CoreMetrics analyse lets us predict
> EqCurve outcomes
> - it shouldn't be that hard to account for null trades
> - it his highly unlikely I will give out pat answers or rigid
methods
> - I am all about pointing to interesting solutions and leaving
> individuals to apply it however they want to ... people will deal
> with B/E trades however they see fit ... BiSim can handle this.
>

> Re limited interest in this forum:
>
> - I went to my own site so I could make a better presentation
> - I don't want to fill up this forum with the subject anyway
> - I wasn't expecting a large number of readers
> - actually got around 300 visitors last weekend
> - the site was a spur of the moment thing because the file section
> won't upload >5MB files
> - I wanted Howard to get my file (since he collects this stuff)
> - I am satisfied to see Howard has looked at it and that others are
> as well
> - now that I have started it has evolved into a 'sort of' book and
my
> expectation is that it will sit on web like a free eBook on one
> aspect of simulation ... hard working traders who surf around
looking
> for goodies are bound to find it
> - it is a bonus for anyone in the forum who follows that stuff
> - it is my quid pro quo to the internet and development
community ...
> I have had thousands of dollars worth of study out of free sites
and
> open source projects e.g. Wikipedia which is an awesome open
resource

> I always like the idea that a trader or two might get some help
from
> my tips and succeed enought to 'sack their boss' and buy their
> freedom.
>

> brian ... 'a free man'
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Yofa" <jtoth100@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > same here. I actually looking at your traders challenge.
> >
> > Why did you exclude the trades with no loss and no gain?

bootstrapping,
> at
> [...]
wait a
> > > while and
> customers).
> > >> >
> http://rapidshare.com/files/195190948/BinomialMaster_ABVersion.xls
> > >> >

> <http://rapidshare.com/files/195190948/BinomialMaster_ABVersion.xls>
> is at:
> details
> > > in the
> post
> <http://40yahoogroups.com>><amibroker%
> > > links to at
> sometime
> because the
> > > without them.
> that.
> <http://40yahoogroups.com>><amibroker%
Simulation
> > > files a
> this
> > > post is
> appear
> > > at some
> well, for
> about them
> trade
> > > series
> > > synthetic eq
> > > incorrect
> <http://40yahoogroups.com>><amibroker%
> > > stationarity
> and
> references a
> > > predicted the
> > > lognormal dist
> series,
> > > and biased
> used
> output
> > > of the
> synthetic
> the
> > > predicted
> tossing a coin
> > > trading we
> lose).
> be a
> > > load
> get any
> > > approximations and
> MCS and
> > > quick and
> hard time
> other day I
> had
> > > done
> section
> > > one day
take
> them or
> Howard
> > > and other
> <http://40yahoogroups.com>><amibroker%
> today
> > > as I am
> > > couldn't
> > > priority he
> came to
> noise
> > > test is
> feedback.
> reach
> > > my own
> retesting
> short term
> > > mind on
> >past few
> outcomes
> > > point? What
> > > systems is
> and at
> have some
> independency
> > > coin toss
> > > stationarity
> and
> references a
> > > predicted the
> > > lognormal dist
> that
> > > it is a
> > > 'normal'
> > > relevance
> could
> > > incur
> Cumulative
> (simulation
> > > is one
> it in a
> > > OOS, and
> do you
> similar, and
> similar, and
> that
> > > produces
> system
> trading
> could
> > > that
> functional optF
> formula).
> > > judging by
> > > changes,
> end
> > > up with
OOS.
> behaviour of the
> I don't
> answer.
> up
> > > on that
> simulating
> > > random
> amount of
> another, that
> (I can't
> has any
> attributes
> in
> > > a row
> close,
> > > and it
> > > typical of a
> head or
> > > tail
> top
> > > be a
> > > measurements, and
> which is
> > > independency in the
> week).
> point,
> > > that the
> > > value, which
> > > everything else
what
> is
> > > rational
> the day?
> we will
> although
> > > that is a
> > > rational (it is
> and it is
> > > around it
> pivot lows.
> and
> > > sells
> at - 1
> slippage.
> > > volatility so
> > > the random
> down.
> people are
> reasons -
> > > if they
> fundamental
> look
> > > exactly
> it.
> OOS,
> > > and it
> you trade
> very good
> data) will
> > > payoff ratio
> > > coin).
> model
> > > will be
> > > others, like
> > > around this
> posts) ...
stationarity
> either
> believe in
> coin
> > > tosses
> > > what the
nonstationarity)
> and
> > > approximation of
> give
> > > me any
> has no
> answered the
brian_zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
> <http://40yahoogroups.com>><amibroker%
New
> Years
> [...]
how
> many
> successful
> > > relates to
> trades
> > > gives
> system.
> > > Yes, you
> orders.
> > > But why
> have no
> > > racing car
> > > time) and
> > > off the
> > > what to
> > > expectations.
> that don't
> that only
stationarity
> in
> > > depth.
> outside of
> it ....
> to 'trading
> devoted
> > > to the
> Trading'
> > > by Volker
> TradeSim
> > > and MSA.
> time
> > > series,
> simulate 'live
> allocated
> mode, does
> > > used ...
simultaneous
> > > trades on
> set of
> sampling will
> outcomes
> > > using
> > > series and
> predicts a
> > > pseudo
> > > series will
> sure if
> > > they do).
> assumes
> remain
> > > constant
> be
> > > selected
> absolutely
> > > frequency)....
> > > picked the
> you
> > > will not
> > > but that
> the
> > > bin and
> (frequencies)
> > > dist is a
> happen
> > > it will.
> > > variance with
> e.g.
> of fair
> > > outcomes
> > > expressed as
> at the
> > > than what
> variance
> > > can be
> > > easy, push
> simulation is in
> for the
> we
> > > design
> > > non-stationarity.
> in
> > > OOS if
> > > still get
stationarity
> is
> > > not, or
> > > already in
> > > looking Black

> > > ------------------------------------
> > >
> > > **** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****
> > > This group is for the discussion between users only.
> > > This is *NOT* technical support channel.
> > >
> > > TO GET TECHNICAL SUPPORT send an e-mail directly to
> > > SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
> > >
> > > TO SUBMIT SUGGESTIONS please use FEEDBACK CENTER at
> > > http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/
> > > (submissions sent via other channels won't be considered)
> > >
> > > For NEW RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENTS and other news always check
DEVLOG:

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/