[amibroker] Re: Monte Carlo analysis for trading systems

Hi Y

> Why did you exclude the trades with no loss and no gain?

First you have to understand the context of what I am doing:

- I am a maths layperson who stumbled on BiSim
- I decided to share it with the community because I had mumbled
about it a few times and decided it was time to cough up
- for now lets just say it has academic, or educational interest only
- I am working live, which means:
 I could spend 2 years full time turning it into a book but decided,
instead, to 'write my book live' ... I don't want to give up 2-3
years of my life and I also want to do it that way ... people can
interact and see my mistakes and corrections as I go along ... posts
will change and disapear ... the order of the posts (chapters) will
change ... the book might not have an ending (it might just stop) ...
the book might not have a definite or complete structure ... gaps
will probably be left and the readers will have to close those gaps
by themselves ... someone may email me an extension or a
refutation ... if I like it and it is good I will add it to the
book ... someone could, theoretically take over the book or the
site ... I am a NewAge guy and I like working with group dynamics ...
I am just not sensitive so that makes me a NAG and not a SNAG ;-)

- my files are working files ... I went from one file to the next
investigating all sorts of ideas ... so the files got dirtier as I
went along because I just copy/pasted the file and starting the new
work on top of the old files

- when I am working on a project I guess my way around  a lot of the
time so I don't mind being quick and dirty with the method as long as
it is accurately exposing the concept in my mind e.g. I haven't got
all of Excel loaded (the part that does freq dist) .. couldn't be
bothered figuring out how to do that so I did the FDists manually ..
for that reason I worked with large chunks ... this is actually fine
for the initial thinking because it makes it easier to follow the
logic (the first file is a coin toss with only a few values on either
side of the coin and a BreakEven win loss)

- so, right now BiSim is a formative, and I think interesting idea
that we are participating in ... I might or might not go further with
it.

What is the use of BiSim:

- so far it is educational
- as Phsst pointed out in one of his recent posts, there is a good
argument that 'coin tossing' has no relevance to trading at all ... a
fascinating discussion point
- for those of us who are interested in using stats methods to
analyse or evaluate our trading systems, BiSim can teach us a lot
about the Null Hypothesis and IMO it might possibly be the quickest
and easiest method for traders to test the significance of their
trading systems against the Null Hypothesis for their specific market
or instrument
- that may or may not turn out to be the case but we will never know
unless I give people the chance to consider it as an option available
to them
- I have no regret that I made the effort to learn 'stats for
traders' even though it was against my nature to do so .... it is one
of the best trading studies I have done without a doubt... I wouldn't
have the confidence to trade without it ... it is like theory in
music ... when you are performing you aren't thinking about theory
but you  need to have it there.... and I am still learning ....
bouncing off Howard, Aronson and Vince but still finding my own way
through it.

Why did I leave out break even trades:

- to start with I just ended up there because my naive maths skills
didn't equip me to anticipate issues like that
- when I wanted to do the FDist I used Excels roundup so that the
task of doing that manually was simplified (no need to work to 16
decimal places at this stage) ... even for live work I will accept 2
or 3 dec place accuracy ... if others want 16 decimal place that will
be their challenge
- once I got to that point I considered it not such a bad thing for
initial investigations
- because BiSim is at the formative stage I consider that so far I
have demonstrated that it does model actual 'random' equity outcomes,
for simulated curves, very nicely despite the fact that the 'proof' I
used (an Excel spreadsheet) wasn't constructed perfectly (it has a
lot of little errors and silly ideas in it but not in the crucial
sections).
- one of the strengths of BiSim is that it can handle all sorts of
frequency distributions ... the trade series doesn't have to be normal
- for that reason I am not fussed about the fact that the first
example I 'published doesn't have a 'normal distribution' ... the
fact that the distribution wouldn't occur in 'real' trading is
neither here nor there for the moment ... the fact of interest is
that BiSim coped with that trade profile (distribution) whatever it
was
- later posts will have some files, or summaries from them, where
BiSim also copes with biased systems (winning systems == systems with
an edge) and systems with different volatility
- in my studies I found it very hard to understand what would happen
to my system, in live trading, if I designed the same system with
more or less volatility in it .. what then happens to my reward and
risk?.... with BiSim I was able to play with some rough examples on
my lab bench and see with my own eyes what happened ... now I have to
go to Aronson, or Vince etc, to see what they say about that, if
anything, and whether their opinion is consistent with my lab
obsvervations .. a huge advantage for a non-mathematician wouldn't
you say?

Real life trading, BiSim and the future:

- in real life we do get B/E trades
- individual traders have to make a personal choice about how they
will define a B/E trade and when and how to deal with that in their
evaluations ... that doesn't only apply to BiSim
- some traders want to analyse trade - slippage - commissions (fair
enough and that is up to them)
- I am finding it challenging to think about all of this as it is so
for simplicity I have left out slippage/commissions for now
- I am an intuitive .. I am interested in the concepts (conceptual
analysis) ... that is my strength and I am sharing that with the
community  ... others are stronger subjective analysts and they share
code/maths etc
- at this stage I am exposing the concepts and trying to put others
in the picture by going around the subject from different angles
- later I might, or someone might, work on the real uses for BiSim (I
think I have a lot of it in my head anyway just waiting for me to
download it on to paper) ... when we get to that stage it will be
time to consider how to put B/E trades into the equation
- because I am working live I will discover, and resolve, issues as I
go along ... if I can't resolve them my thesis crashes and burns OR
at least remains as an educational exercise ... I have already learnt
so much from it
- when I started posting on it I didn't know I was going to publish
the maths expression because I didn't have it ... once I started to
think about BiSim again (because I decided to share it) the maths
stuff popped into my head ... I don't know what issues are ahead and
what solutions will pop into me 'ead.
- technically speaking equity outcomes are lognormal ... at the
application phase we will explore the antilog distribution ...
personally I will be using the GeoMean so B/E trades don't affect
that analysi or the resultant equity curve for that matter (they only
impact on annualised returns since you were in the trade but it was
a  fizzer == GrowthFactor = = zero ... this reduces your annual
return (when you standardise it to one year) because the total time
you were in and out of the trades is part of the annualised
calculations ... at the CoreMetrics level a B/E trade doesn't count
for much (a coin can't land on it's edge) ... many times in this
forum I have cautioned traders against the fixation that many have of
focussing on the equity curve ... especially if you only have one OOS
equity curve to look at ... CoreMetrics analyse lets us predict
EqCurve outcomes
- it shouldn't be that hard to account for null trades
- it his highly unlikely I will give out pat answers or rigid methods
- I am all about pointing to interesting solutions and leaving
individuals to apply it however they want to ... people will deal
with B/E trades however they see fit ... BiSim can handle this.

Re limited interest in this forum:

- I went to my own site so I could make a better presentation
- I don't want to fill up this forum with the subject anyway
- I wasn't expecting a large number of readers
- actually got around 300 visitors last weekend
- the site was a spur of the moment thing because the file section
won't upload >5MB files
- I wanted Howard to get my file (since he collects this stuff)
- I am satisfied to see Howard has looked at it and that others are
as well
- now that I have started it has evolved into a 'sort of' book and my
expectation is that it will sit on web like a free eBook on one
aspect of simulation ... hard working traders who surf around looking
for goodies are bound to find it
- it is a bonus for anyone in the forum who follows that stuff
- it is my quid pro quo to the internet and development community ...
I have had thousands of dollars worth of study out of free sites and
open source projects e.g. Wikipedia which is an awesome open resource

I always like the idea that a trader or two might get some help from
my tips and succeed enought to 'sack their boss' and buy their
freedom.

brian ... 'a free man'

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Yofa" <jtoth100@xxx> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> same here. I actually looking at your traders challenge.
>
> Why did you exclude the trades with no loss and no gain?

Analysis".  I
> > read
> >> about half of it.  For the most part, I found it to be
understandable,
> >> but far too verbose.  To me, he seems to be saying the same
thing,
> > over,
> >> and over, and over, again.
> >>
> >> I'm looking forward to Howard's new book in October.  In the
mean time,
> >> could either of you suggest some references that are less
verbose and
> >> more on the practical side than Aronson's tome.
> >>
> >> Thank you.
> >> -- Keith

> > was
understanding of