[amibroker] Re: Sell and Buy on different days

Ha ha.

Just goes to show how people can get tunnel vision sometimes. Since I
do a lot of custom backtester code, I immediately suggested filtering
at that level.

But, your suggestion of a random value for PositionScore directly
would be far easier and less prone to coding error.

Mike

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Edward Pottasch" <empottasch@xxx>
wrote:

> you are right on this Mike.  Testing a system like this using a
random positionscore is a good indication if it can be made into a
system that can be used in the practice. Andy has an idea that is
tough to execute but not impossible in my opinion,

> regards, Ed

). As
> [...]
that
>   ordering and will not reflect live trading results.
>
>   Generally, PositionScore can be used to influence ordering. But,
an
>   OCA approach by definition does not follow PositionScore.
>
>   So, you might want to modify your custom backtester code to
randomly
>   select from the available signals and set the remaining ones to
>   PosSize 0 in order to override the default prioritization. Then
run
>   your backtest many times and take the average of the results as a
best
>   guess estimate (i.e. Monte Carlo Permutations)
>
>   Mike
>
>   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andrew Senft <senft@> wrote:
>   >
>   > Hey Ed,
>   >
>   > Thank you so much for the code on the Amibroker Yahoo group
board!
>   It
>   > seems to be working from what I've seen so far. I'm doing an
>   > optimization on that particular code (your first code) right
now.
>   >
>   > The second code (the one from your email) didn't work. That is,
>   there
>   > were sales of one stock and buy of another stock on the same
day.
>   Not
>   > sure what your code was doing but it gave a lot bigger profits
using
>   the
>   > backtester. Could you comment on this please?
>   >
>   > Mind you that this is my first attempt to writing code for any
stock
>   > type software. I'm still using the 30 day free trial of the
>   Amibroker
>   > software but I think that I'm getting closer as I'm chugging
along.
>   >
>   > My agenda is to use this on a basket of ETF's. Perhaps 10 to 20
>   or
>   > so. Not sure how many I need since the 30 day trail backtests up
>   to a
>   > basket of 5 stocks. My idea is to place the possible stock
trades
>   > using the whole basket of ETF stocks at night for the next
trading
>   > session. I have an IB account so I figure I could use an OCA
limit
>   > order. Basically whenever a trade gets hit first (meets the
limit
>   price
>   > level), it trades. The other possible trades all get canceled
right
>   > away. So one trade actually goes through for the day.
>   >
>   > BTW, I like ETF's because the drawdowns are not as scary....
okay,
Date:

**** IMPORTANT ****