Re: [amibroker] How to test when the Walf-Forward Engine Processes OOS vs IS data

Hi OAM --

The purpose of walk forward testing is to see what happens in the out-of-sample period after a trading has been chosen based on performance over an in-sample period.  In walk forward processing, you (the system designer) do not have an opportunity to evaluate any of the alternative systems that are associated with parameter sets other than the one that is at the top of the ranking according to your objective function.  The purpose of the objective function is to incorporate everything that is important and arrive at a single-valued score.

So, the question is -- what happens during selection of the best of the alternatives based on the in-sample period that tells you to change something (use a different system) in the out-of-sample period?  If you have a quantifiable answer to that question, incorporate whatever decision making you would do into the original objective function and run the tests in the normal manner.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Howard
www.blueowlpress.com