[amibroker] Re: learning amibroker coding for indicators etc.

Hello Lyn,

I started using AB around 2-3 years ago with no prior programming
experience except for some limited Metastock use.

So far I have been able to do the things I want to but I am not
orientated to programmatical trading and I only use 10-20% of AB's
capabilities.

Tomasz has famously said that with AB you can do anything ... perhaps
he meant he can do anything ;-)

What language is AFL based on?

I believe it is most similar to C++.
Tomasz is a C++ guy.

Can AB do Fourier Transformation?

Yes, some code exits (search this forum or the AFL library).
Fred Tonetti ran a discussion topic on it a couple of years ago.

AB is a home away from home for algorithmic (programming traders) and
many of the common indicators have been coded - look in the members
area for the examples that Tomasz writes for S&C magazine.

Where is the best place to start?

I doubt if any two of us could agree but IMO drill in the concept of
array processing, which is used by AB.....

... as explained in this section (per Mike's link)

http://www.amibroker.com/guide/h_understandafl.html

What I do is imagine, in my minds eye, that I am entering rows into
Excel, via the AFL code.

Then I work sequentially through each row and plot it as an indicator
so that I can visually see what I have produced (I don't post much
code but when I do I nearly always leave my 'debugging' sequential
plots in place so that other lay programmers can see how effective it
is to build up some working code, line by line).

This sounds patronising but it isn't - it's the same advice I give
myself.... experienced programmers under estimate the power of visual
programming, via plotting, and also using AB's Explorer to output the
results of code.... (advanced ABers use debugging and prettification
tools etc to help with programming but I haven't progressed to that,
as yet).

At times you need to digress from sequential programming and that is
when you need to understand the Flow Control section of the AFL
manual.

Is it fun?

Most of the time but sometimes it takes you somewhere else.

Should I read a programming book?

I haven't but it would probably help.
It really depends on what type of person you are... do you really
enjoy it or not and do you have further use for programming
skills .... if you are young then I would say yes because it will
stand you in good stead somewhere else down the line.

Best of all - go over and over the AFL manual and the functions.
They are like painting with numbers so once you understand them then
you are part of the way there.

Most of all - don't let the heady discussions in this forum put your
head in a spin - many of us will never match the top programmers who
drop into this forum.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "LB" <limit@xxx> wrote:

> Thanks again for the reply.  That those links will probably help a
lot.
> As far as what I mean when I say indicator programmer.
> I am mainly talking about eventually being able to write my own
custom indicators, and being able to see other programming and be
able to change and hopefully improve on them.
>  Kind of like this site I just found last night while looking
around on the web.
>  This persons stuff seems very interesting and I would like to be
able to look at others stuff and put it in AmiBroker if possible.
>  This is the site I am talking about.
>
>  http://translate.google.com:80/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://hk-
lisse.daily-
bourse.fr/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=2&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%
3Damibroker%2Bfourier%26start%3D40%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUS283%
26sa%3DN

>  Is his programing similar to AmiBrokers and would it be hard to
put his stuff in AmiBroker?  Not being a programer and new to this
stuff.  I have no idea.
>  Take a look when you get time.
>
>  Thanks again.
>  Lynn