[amibroker] Re: OT: Fed to cut rates below 1% soon ?

Thanks for the additional insight.

I am still learning and developing and my style seems to be
chrystalising around chart watching, rather than market watching but
I find that knowing the broad strokes of the story behind the charts
helps to estimate the potential and probability of what I am looking
at.

In the past I haven't taken an interest in the economics behind
market events but this time it is such a fascinating story and the
opportunity of my trading lifetime to learn things that you don't
find in the books.

> The continued unwnding of the carry trade which is currently at
>least
> partially responsible for USD strength, is likely to continue with
> 25-30% of global hedge funds predicted to close in the coming
>months.

Unwinding of leveraging is where my investigations ended up.

I also came to the conclusion that there is no single factor at play
here ... it is a domino effect.

Yes, I noticed that US Treasuries went into negative returns so that
is a real barometer of fear.... I am not sure if they are still there.

On the other hand I thought the US market showed some real guts on
Friday, to hold the line when we were looking over the edge of
another cliff..... Nikkei down 10, Europe down 6 on the US open,
trading in the indices futures holted premarket ...CNN announcing
anticipated market halts, prior to market opening, just in case ...
and it didn't happen .... a steady reaction to a string of bad news
like that is usually a good sign.

Considering Dunkirk etc I expected more from the Brits, but they
capitulated without a fight.

As you say, unwinding carries is only partially responsible ...one
wonders what else, is pushing the dollar.... if we know the causes we
will know what to expect when the causes are no longer in place and
possibly anticipate when that might be ... sooner or later?

Someone out there must have access to the data that shows where US
currency exchanges are coming from and going to so it isn't entirely
unknown.

The other point of interest to me is that I doubt very much that
anyone can get a hold on the amount of leveraging that was/is in
place.

I don't think all CreditDefaultSwaps were/are registered ... I expect
a lot of it is done off market because it would be to the advantage
of some to do it there ... as well as that AFAIK Hedge Funds are
obliged to report etc.

Even if reporting rules were in place I still doubt any govt has the
resources to record/classify/monitor/regulate all leveraged investing.

So IMO leveraging is the key to the puzzle and we don't know and
can't know how much is out there, how much has been mopped up
already, how much has been swept under the carpet and how much is
still to hit the fan.

Thanks for helping me out with my enquiries.

I am attracted to anomalies.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sidhartha70" <sidhartha70@xxx>
wrote:

> The continued unwnding of the carry trade which is currently at
least
> partially responsible for USD strength, is likely to continue with
> 25-30% of global hedge funds predicted to close in the coming
months.
> We are looking at a wall of redemptions.
> Of course, where there is fear, they is a flight to USSD tresuries
> too, so that's another factor.
>
> But Brian I agree... you are not the first market watcher I have
> spoken to who is somewhat perplexed about the dollars strength given
> the likely damage that will done to the US balance sheet as a result
> of this crisis.
>
> Once the fear factor abates, I can see a lot of further weakness in
> the USD.
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@> wrote:
> >
> > Brian,
> >
> > Actually it is known phenomenon that USD is getting strength
> > when economy collapses.
> > See "dollar is smiling in a recession"
> >
> http://www.morganstanley.com/views/gef/archive/2007/20071210-
Mon.html