[amibroker] Re: Semi-OT: Portfolio Manager for frequent Swing Trading

Steve,

I'll defer to Dennis' reply on that. I don't personally have any
experience trading from an IRA.

Mike

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Steve Dugas" <sjdugas@xxx> wrote:

> Hi Mike - I bought Green's book a couple of years ago, have been
getting
> e-mails to join his  conference calls ever since   8 - )   These
"restricted
> margin" IRA's are not true margin accounts, i.e. you can't borrow
money or
> short stocks, the main thing they offer over the IRA's of other
brokers is
> that T+3 is effectively waived, you can close one trade and open
another
> without waiting the usual 3 days for the funds to settle like a cash
> account.  The ban on shorting is not a problem with ETF's as you can
just go
> long an inverse ETF and I was wondering if anything like that might
be
> available for futures, but per Grover they allow us to actually
short the
> futures. Are you thinking there may be some tax consequences to
shorting
> futures in an IRA? Thanks!
>
> Steve

Swing
> Trading
>

> > There's a conference call most Thursdays in which trader tax
issues
> > (including trading your IRA) and hedge fund formation/management
are
> > discussed. For example, last I heard, you can't use margin within
an
> > IRA.
> >
> > It's largely a means for the hosts to try and drum up new business
for
> > themselves, and as often as not ends up with "set up a
consultation

http://www.greencompany.com/EducationCenter/InteractiveOnlineMeetings.
> > shtml
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Steve Dugas" <sjdugas@> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thank you Dennis, just shrinking the paperwork is a pretty good
> > reason to switch.   8 - )
> >> BTW, would you happen to know about trading futures in an IRA?
Can
> > it be done? Can one somehow use futures to go short in an IRA?
Thanks
> > again!
> >>
> >> Steve

IRS
> > requires for futures? Thanks!
> >>
> >>     Steve

US.
> > To get an equity curve, I input my account basis and liquidation
value
> > in a spreadsheet each night.  It only takes about 5 minutes.  I
also
> > keep a trade log of my trades each day for my own learning
purposes.

> >>       There is no connection between TOS and AmiBroker programs.
> >>

> >>       Best regards,
> >>       Dennis
> >>

> >>       On Oct 21, 2008, at 3:47 AM, Ken Close wrote:
> >>

> >>         Google searches produce nothing useful, so I would like
> > ask this question of frequent swing and day traders:  what
software do
> > you use to track trade results (closed trades especially but also
open
> > trades)?  Does it include calculation and display of a total
resulting
> > equity curve?  Does it help in any way for collecting and
exporting
> > reports for use at tax time?  Does it integrate with Amibroker or
is
> > standalone?  Please note that I am not asking about the
backtesting
> > and resulting listing of trades and their statistics in Amibroker,
but
> > rather the recording of real trades made and closed over time.
> >>
> >>         As background to the questions, as I consider a more
> > frequent trading system compared to mutual funds and positions
held
> > for many weeks if not multiple months, one that might make trades
> > lasting weeks at most and perhaps only days, my mind boggles at
the
> > recordkeeping involved.  With potential trade volumes in the 10 to
30
> > per week, the data entry starts to seem formidible.  Surely some
> > (many?) on this list do this all the time, and I would appreciate
> > knowing something about your recordkeeping system(s), not your
timing
> > systems (:-o).
> >>
> >>         Now before TJ jumps in here, I just reviewed the AB
Account

**** IMPORTANT ****