Re: [amibroker] A question concerning Rsquared

Louis --
May I suggest the following:
1.  Reduce to the minimum the code required to demonstrate your problem.
2.  Post the code so derived in it Entirety, so that someone who wants to help can easily reproduce your problem.

In your email below, you may have included that snippet of code which you feel is at fault.  However, you do not know this for sure, otherwise, you would have probably already solved the problem.

Therefore, post the Entire code required to show your resulting line and the values you are observing, including plot() functions, and all pertinent parameter assignments.  And remove anything that is superfluous to your problem, such as plotting of moving averages.

-- Keith

Louis P. wrote:

Hi,

I have this question about Rsquared.

I used the following code to calculate it:

// variable-period Correlation
function CorrV( x, y, range  )
{

  avX = MA( x, range );
  avY = MA( y, range );
  avXY = MA( x * y, range );

  ssqrX = Sum( x * x, range );
  ssqrY = Sum( y * y, range );

  VarX = Max( ssqrx/range - avX * avX, 0 );
  VarY = Max( ssqry/range - avY * avY, 0 );

  return Nz( ( avXY - avX * avY  ) / sqrt( VarX * VarY ) );
}

// variable-period R squared
function RSquaredV( array, range )
{
   return   CorrV( BarIndex()+1, array, range ) ^ 2;
}

The problem is shown in the image I just attached.  If you look at the last graph at the bottom of the image, the first orange line at the bottom is a 0.80 correlation.  This line has a correlation over 0.85, which is very good.  However, it is clear to the eye that the close or the HHV was NOT taken into account; instead it seems like it is the next bar that is taken into account.  So I get a result that should not show any correlation at all!

How do you think I could correct this?

Thanks,

Louis