[amibroker] BEANS, String Manipulations, and a Challenge

  • To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] BEANS, String Manipulations, and a Challenge
  • From: "Ken Close" <ken45140@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:19:00 -0400

First, another thanks to those who offered up ways to handle string manipulations; the techniques are used here.

Second, a BEANS.afl is attached (and uploaded to the official AFL library for those who did not see the attachment).

This code will display a list of your holdings and associated statistics about those holdings using gfx commands to create a columnar Title; it is applied as an indicator and does not use the AA window. There are comments on use and some of the steps in the code.

Third, and the challenge.  I am unable to see, within the code construction approach I used, how to calculate an average buy price when one's holdings include two or more of the same symbol purchased on different days.  If you are interested and look within the code, you will see how the code cycles through the list of holdings and develops the stats for each holding. How to save intermediate results for several positions and calculate an average price escapes me.  If anyone has a suggestion, I would be most grateful.

An associated minor problem is this: the way I chose to display lines of code using gfx commands makes it inconvenient to alter the order of the various columns of data. It can be done of course, but only with some tiresome manual recoding.  Not a big deal because once done, it is complete.  But for learning purposes, I would like to know another way of displaying the data.  I realize most (all?) of you have better things to do with your time.  Nonetheless, you may learn something from some of the code, and you might find it useful or at a minimum, entertaining to flex your coding muscles.  Recall the various concise suggestions on how to handle the string manipulations which resulted from the original question.

What else might this module calculate and display to make it more useful?

Thanks,

Ken

PS: this is called a BEANS module because many of us from the FastTrack world used, at one time, a support program which included a BEANS module.  After you entered your holdings into an initialization file, it would calculate statistics for nightly viewing after updating.  This program became unusable (or limited) when the FastTrack database was recently changed to hold more data.  Hence this BEANS.afl.