[amibroker] Re: positionscore problem

If I recall correctly, this code would not be expected to work.

Since you're adding a large number to all PositionScores and saying
Buy when greater than zero, you are effectively saying always buy.
Similarly, when subtracting a large number from all PositionScores
and saying Short when less than zero, you are effectively saying
always short.

To summarize, what you are effectively saying is:

Buy=FirstHourUp AND true;
Short=FirstHourUp AND true;

At this point, all your PositionScores are negative (for Buys and for
Shorts) since the last thing you did to the array was subtract a
large number. All your PositionScore are equal to PS - 1000, which
can give the highest absolute value to the *worst* performers when
all PS values were positive to start out with.

Now, AmiBroker will see that you have a maximum allowance of 2 open
positions, so it will sort using the absolute value of PositionScore
and store double the number of max positions. So, because of the way
you've done your PostionScore, you may be left with the scores of the
4 worst performers going in to the final stage.

At the final stage, AmiBroker will see that Buy and Short are set to
true for *all* symbols meeting the FirstHourUp criteria. What I think
is happening is that by default you cannot have multiple positions
open on the same sybol, and that Buy takes precedence over Short. So,
all signals are tagged as Buy (of which you are only taking 1) and
you have no Short signals at all.

So, not only are you only getting Buys, but you may also be getting
the *worst* Buy since your PositionScore last favored the lowest PS
value.

This, of course, is all speculation until tested. I could be way off.

Mike

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "claudecaruana" <claudecaruana@xxx>
wrote:

> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> this might sound crazy, but I am still getting only longs with this
> code....
>
> FirstHourUp = IIf (TimeNum() == 103000,True,False);
> numbars=13;
> SetOption("MaxOpenPositions", 2);
> SetOption("MaxOpenLong", 1 );
> SetOption("MaxOpenShort",1);
> SetOption("SeparateLongShortRank", True );
> PS = 	ROC(C,NumBars)/ATR(250);
> PositionScore=ps+1000;
> Buy= FirstHourUp AND PositionScore > 0;
> PositionScore=ps-1000;
> Short=FirstHourUp AND PositionScore < 0;
>

> Sell = TimeNum() == 113000;
> SellPrice = C;
> Cover = TimeNum() == 113000;
> CoverPrice = C;
>
> Is anybody willing to try it out?
>
> Cheers,
> Claude
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ron Rowland" <rowland@> wrote:
> >
> > Just take the negative of the ABS value of the lowest
PositionScore.