[amibroker] Re: The best way to help newbies, oldies, ... and AmiBroker ...

> It would sure help to get started if Tomasz or someone else has a
> current text list of all keywords and tokens that AFL recognizes
> get started with -- that way nothing would be missed and it is
just
> adding info to each one.

The existing documentation offers this.

http://www.amibroker.com/guide/a_language.html
http://www.amibroker.com/guide/a_keywords.html
http://www.amibroker.com/guide/afl/afl_index.php?m=1

Mike

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dennis Brown <see3d@xxx> wrote:

> Keith,
>
> Thanks for rescuing my post from the oblivion of the chaos that
came
> after it.
>
> I like your more detailed suggestion and yes we are talking about
the
> same thing.  From a practical point, this is not something that
one
> person should have to take on by themselves -- it could be
> overwhelming.  This is perfect for a collaborative effort
initially,
> but would require a Wiki sort of thing to do that in the broadest
> sense.  Once it is all pieced together, it would not be too hard
> maintain in the UKB or in another way.  Perhaps a text file could
be
> uploaded with the partial document and "checked out" to be worked
on.
> Eventually it would be complete enough to post as a good resource,
but
> of course would have to be updated regularly as AFL evolves.
>
> I think my extension to this is that I would like to see the
entries
> link to the place in the documentation that defines them, or
perhaps
> an auto search for references in the docs.  Not clear to me yet
what
> would be the most helpful if they are not integrated into the
official
> docs.
>
> It would sure help to get started if Tomasz or someone else has a
> current text list of all keywords and tokens that AFL recognizes
> get started with -- that way nothing would be missed and it is
just
> adding info to each one.
>
> Otherwise, like you said, the first job to piece them together
from
> the various places in the docs.
>
> Any other ideas about how to make this a reality without killing
one
> person?
>
> Best regards,
> Dennis
>
> On Aug 29, 2008, at 4:34 PM, Keith McCombs wrote:
>
> > Dennis --
> > Your comments below reminded me of something I've always wanted
for
> > AFL.  You called it an "AFL to English Dictionary", while I was
> > thinking "Glossary".  But, I believe, we may be looking for the
same
> > thing.
> >
> > Many times I knew what I wanted but couldn't find it in the help
> > documentation just because I didn't know what AB called it.  For
> > example, when I first wanted to plot multiple or different or
other
> > equities, all on the same chart, I was pretty sure that it could
be
> > done but had a hard time figuring out how.  It was quite a while
> > ago, so I'm not sure exactly how I tried to solve the problem.
But
> > I probably opened up Help and did a Search for 'multiple',
> > 'different', 'other', or 'many'.  Somehow, eventually, I
discovered
> > the 'foreign' function, which, by the way, took me longer than
> > write and debug my final code.
> >
> > Had there been an "AFL to English Dictionary" or 'Glossary' with
an
> > entry like,
> >    "foreign() -- refers to symbols other primary symbol.  Search -

> > different, many, multiple, other."
> > it would have been of great help at the time.
> >
> > Another hard one, at least for me, to come up with on my own,
> >    "AddToComposite() -- used to create composite indicators.
> > - different, index, indicator, many, multiple, other.
> > and
> >    "ATC -- abbreviation for AddToComposite."
> >
> > Note:  Making such a glossary should not be very difficult.  It
> > would consist of:
> > 1.  Make a list of all the keywords, functions, and other useful
> > terms in AFL.
> > 2.  Add very brief description for each.  Best done by users
with
> > 'intermediate' experience.
> > 3.  Add Search words.  Best done dynamically by newer users,
> > especially those who had difficulty finding the particular
keyword
> > or function.
> >
> > This could be a very useful addition to the UKB.
> >
> > Oh yes,
> >    "Users Knowledge Base -- very helpful "how to" articles by
> > users.  http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/glossary
> >       Search - user, more, help, tutorial.
> > and
> >    "UKB -- abbreviation for Users Knowledge Base."
> > and
> >    "AFL -- abbreviation for AmiBroker Formula Language."
> >
> > BTW, given such a 'Glossary' or 'AFL to English Dictionary', I
see
> > no need for an "English to AFL Dictionary".  Just search for the
> > English word that you think might lead you in the right direction.
> >
> > -- Keith
> >

> > Dennis Brown wrote:
> >>
> >> Ron, and other posters to this thread,
> >>
> >> This is a good example of where some of the problems in
> >> understanding come from.  AFL is cryptic and concise.  It takes
> >> good long while to make the connection between a natural
language
> >> expression of the desired result and the AFL to say the same
> >> thing.  I had ask for an AFL to English dictionary.  You and
other
> >> posters are asking for an English to AFL phrase book.  I really
> >> like that idea.  There are a large number of one liners that
are
> >> very useful and are great at teaching how things work in AFL.
How
> >> many times have I seen a question for "How do I plot a vertical
> >> line at x?"  or "How do I change the background color by bar to
> >> indicate some indicator condition?".  Almost the kind of thing
that
> >> could make up an AFL FAQ section.  This seems like one of the
> >> things the UKB was created to handle.  However, each item is
too
> >> small to warrant a wh ole UKB article in itself.  The TOC
structure
> >> is not set up for that IMO.  However, having a dozen one liners
> >> about plotting, etc., in one subject would be very helpful.
Just
> >> the fact that a number of question would be answered under one
> >> general heading makes it more likely that a new user would find
the
> >> answer to the thing he wanted quickly.
> >>
> >> I am hearing so many good ideas on this and similar threads in
the
> >> last couple of days from new and old hands.
> >>
> >> I am a great fan of "Cheat Sheets".  Condensation of all key
points
> >> to a subject on one page.  There are many areas of AFL that
could
> >> fit into this model.
> >>
> >> Of course the problem with the UKB is that each article has to
have
> >> an owner who is responsible to input and update its content.
There
> >> are also some barriers to becoming a UKB author.  Not big ones,
but
> >> just big enough to keep busy people from crossing over. &n
bsp;One
> >> suggestion was made to have AB support help out with that so
there
> >> would be an easy as email way to make a contribution for these
> >> snippets.  Support already has offered to post articles for
> >> authors, but I think it is still a barrier to have to write a
> >> "complete" article to post anything.  Adding to an article that
is
> >> already structured with a small think like people post hers
would
> >> not be so daunting.
> >>
> >> I think it is a great idea to have a topic related AFL phrase
> >> book.  Of course it would also be appropriate for any UKB author
> >> put up his hand and say he will sign up to maintain a
particular
> >> topic UKB entry for the phrase book.
> >>
> >> Perhaps if a few of us could take a topic and get the ball
rolling,
> >> others would join in.  The idea is that instead of writing a
UKB
> >> article, you just email a snippet to the responsible person to
add
> >> it to the article.
> >>
> >> This list itself could be used to vet things first to reduce
the
> >> editing of completed articles.  That way someone would not have
> >> be an expert to maintain one topic.
> >>
> >> If several people like this basic idea, the we could expand the
> >> concept and create an outline for the subjects.
> >>
> >> Should we start organizing the topics for a phrase book?
> >>
> >> It is one thing to complain, another to suggest improvements,
and
> >> still another to be willing to contribute to the suggestions.
> >>
> >> What do people think of this idea, and contributing to it?
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Dennis
> >>

> >> On Aug 28, 2008, at 3:13 PM, <professor@xxx> <professor@xxx

Many