[amibroker] Re: The best way to help newbies, oldies, ... and AmiBroker ...

I am posting comments under the sub-topic started by Herman i.e.

"The best way to help newbies, oldies.... and AmiBroker.

Specifically where Herman said that:

"I always figured that sticking with AFL would have provided a more
continuous path for users to develop their programming expertise".

and then went on to make some suggestions about AB training related
issues (books, UKB etc).....the later I consider to be old topics,
well discussed..... worth discussing if there is anything new.

> ......what direction do you want to go in ?

It is not a question of the direction but whether I have been
provided with the tools to get there.

IMO the AB manual should provide me with the basics ... if anymore is
required that is the place to do it.

For example:

18 months ago I was stuck with some code and then hazarded a guess
that I could use log/antilog. The only thing I could remember about
log was that adding logs is a surrogate for multiplication.

Looking at the maths functions I found that there is nothing to
connect exp to log.

To get the job done I had to go to Wiki.

If you go to Wiki you will find it quite challenging for a non-
mathematician... it includes statements like:

"When log is written without a base (b missing from logb), the intent
can usually be determined from context.

If phssst wants to say that I should have the skills or set my sites
lower or that it is not AB's job to teach me maths then that is a
fair comment to make.

The AB manual didn't offer me a lot of help in that area.

I had to guess that exp was the inverse of log and I had to prove it
to myself by running an example, exporting to Excel etc.

Once again it would be a fair comment if people said that is high
school maths, if you don't know pay Graham.

I did try to get some guidance from the AFL Library examples linked
to under the Log function (per the AFL manual).

The first two examples:

Andrews Pitchfork
AR Prediction

- written a couple of years ago
- not maintained since?
- not officially supported/approved by AB
- I don't know the authors
- the comments include statements about errors,syntax errors
- they don't have any explanation as to what each line of code is
doing
- they have wrap around
- the uses for code itself isn't well expalined
- there is no explanation of log at all
- AR Prediction uses both log and log10

if you scroll down you get something like

// Calculate the Pitchfork itself

// Handle first

for ( j=zagx3[sbi],n=0 ; j < Min(sbi+xtsn,BarCount) ; j++,n++ ) {
   Handle[j]=exp(log(zagy3[sbi]) + n*echng) + shift;

That is the most help you get with AB log.

Compare that to say, 1 or more very small examples that show the
basic uses e.g. it can be used to multiply, here is the code (a line
or two) and this is what it does (4-5 lines of short arrays showing
the math transformation from log, add, antilog (exp).

Any other similar common uses could be treated in the same way.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Fred Tonetti <ftonetti@xxx> wrote:

> Brian / Allan,
>

> While I'm not particularly fond of answering questions with
questions the
> reality is that in order for anyone to answer questions like the
very
> general one you posted they'd need to know where it is you are
trying to go
> .
>

> If you've read Howard's book and that isn't in the direction you
want to go
> i.e. system design and testing then what direction do you want to
go in ?

> Are you a visual type i.e. are you only interested in indicators
and line
> drawing capabilities etc ? or ?
>

> Fred
>

>   _____