Re[2]: [amibroker] Re: The best way to help newbies, oldies, ... and AmiBroker ...

Title: Re[2]: [amibroker] Re: The best way to help newbies, oldies, ... and AmiBroker ...

If you want additional code snippets to help you apply afl functions go to anyone of the afl sites and search for the statement you want to use.

For example, if you want to see how PlotShapes() is used just go to the AFL Library and do a search for "PlotShapes", you'll find dozens of application that use this statement.

You can also do this on the official Knowledge Base and the user Knowledge Base. It almost always gives you many ready to copy examples of how to use afl functions.

btw, I cannot think of any other product that allows me to do the things I am doing. If you can dream about it you can probably do it with AmiBroker. It isn't always easy however almost always, after trying a number of different solutions, the problem can be solved.

best regards,

herman

> [...]

> 90% of the time. I would keep the AT group also as that one seems to have a

> dedicated group of users that actually make use of it.

> If you choose to receive the individual e-mails, you can save the good ones

> and after a while you will build up a pretty good resource for searching. If

> you want mine, perhaps I could post my OE folders to a file-sharing site

> somewhere  And there are also a couple of downloaders that allow you to

> download all past messages into a DB on your computer and search them pretty

> easily - here are a couple of old links

> http://www.groupfetch.com/index.php

> http://www.pgoffline.com/

> 2. I *think* everything else is available via links on the AB homepage,

> although you might have to click a few of them..

> AFL Library and UKB - I don't know that there is much TJ can do with these

> except to possibly fold the UKB in as part of the library somehow or

> vice-versa. It is nice of him to provide the space but I am guessing that he

> doesn't want to accept responsibility for what is posted by the users, which

> could include even having to verify all code for correctness, etc. I think

> he would like to keep these seperate from the official stuff, we should

> probably just look at it as "frosting on the cake"

> 3. Other things like Members Area, KB, etc might possibly be consolidated

> somehow - perhaps *everything* could could be consolidated under 2 main

> links on the homepage - Official Help Sources and User Contributions.

> B. Learning

> 1. Learning process - I can see that someone, and especially a brand new

> user, might have trouble searching for something when they are not sure what

> it is called, or in fact whether it even exists. That's why I say you will

> really benefit a lot if you at least skim through the users guide - you

> *will* pick up a lot in the process and you will remember for a long time

> that the guide had *something* to say about it. When you can't remember the

> details, but you *know* it is in there somewhere, you will keep looking

> until you find it.

> 2. I have seen over the years that it is in fact the experienced programmers

> who often have the most trouble picking up AFL. I just think the newbies are

> able to approach it with an "empty mind" while the experienced programmers

> need to lose all that experience first. I would say it comes up enough to be

> a legitimate problem, and I guess the solution would be a very detailed

> chapter on array-processing basics, perhaps to include some side-by-side

> examples of how "C type" code can be replaced by the much simpler AFL

> array-based code?  Also, not the ideal solution but as a band-aid, I would

> imagine that AFL has evolved enough at this point that perhaps most things

> could be done using more contional language structures if the user finds it

> easier that way?

> Anyway, jsut my 2 cents, sorry again if I came off the wrong way...

>>> Steve