[amibroker] The best way to help newbies, oldies, ... and AmiBroker ...

Title: The best way to help newbies, oldies, ... and AmiBroker ...

To get newbies to stick with AmiBroker and become contributing members to 'our community' they have to get started. We can all help them here by being patient, tolerant, and courteous. The quickest way to get them started is to provide working examples, not to discourage them in any way. A stupid question is better than no question. Amibroker is no longer simple to learn; very complex applications are discussed everyday and the beginner doesn't know what is native to AmiBroker or what requires special expertise.

Even though I have been using this product for too many years to mention I am still a newbie wrt many of its features. This is because the product split into different programming styles that are time consuming and difficult to learn (no matter what anybody says). I always figured that sticking with AFL would have provided a more continuous path for users to develop their programming expertise. Their are big hurdles to overcome moving from afl to OLE Automation, to CBT, DLLs, etc. These hurdles separate users in distinct groups and leaves many disconnected. There is no continuity. My personal ignorance is simply due to the fact that there are not enough hours in a day, and neurons in my brain, to become a master in all aspects of AmiBroker. I am sure that i am not the only one with these limitations.

1) One of the best ways for a serious beginner is to learn to use AmiBroker is to buy Howards book on quantitative trading systems. I am not involved with this product; it is simply the best around. However for someone who is just trying out AmiBroker this is probably too much to ask. A good option would be for Howard and TJ to make a deal and package the book with the AmiBroker license, even include it in the HELP files. imo, both would benefit. Also this approach might lead to other books. But this might be too much to ask...people are motivated to do things for different reasons and this type of collaboration might be a dream.

2) Another solution is that posting articles on the UKB is facilitated and supported by AmiBroker. Meaning here that articles can be submitted to UKB@xxxxxxxxx, be reviewed, improved for inefficiencies (not certified), and posted by an expert in WordPress. This would improve presentation and diversity. We would see new approaches, and many unique and interesting solutions. I think that this involvement would take much less time than answering thousands of emails and often leave people 'hanging' with partial solutions or hints at where to find the answers.

3) Official replies (TJ and Marcin) to public questions should be answered with sufficient detail to provide a working example. replies should be posted and indexed on the KB,or even UKB if the idea is user oriented. This approach would gradually preempt questions and eventually save time for everyone. It would laso reduce traffic on the list and lead to a more interesting content. Also, if a user provided a good answer this should be extracted from the list and posted on the one of the Knowledge bases.

Currently everyone is following the route of short-term gain, as if we are not going to be around tomorrow... like in politics eh...?

grrr, Enough said.

Herman.