[amibroker] Forum Re: 'Rule Based' versus 'Discretionary' trading...

Yes, it was a rhetorical question ... luckily I have a little bit of
discussion left in me.

I find AB is just so big I can't possibly keep up.
It goes way beyond what I thought it was when I bought in.
It is no good getting frustrated with myself, or others getting
frustrated with me, because I haven't read it all, or learnt it
all.... I'm doing my best.

The forum is great - it is dragging me along - still can't quite keep
up but I am now getting a lot of it.

Thanks to all who contribute.

Everything helps, from Howard to Progster, AFL consultants, trading
mentors through to the people who give answers, or join in
discussions in the forum..... love the code too (the only thing that
is lacking is a little poetry from Yuki every now and then - that
would be nice).

How about this Yuki?

Cicadas fall,
one by one,

silence.

Re sharing.

I think it is personal - I don't have expectations of others as such -
 I like to share so I have made personal decisions as to how to do it.

So far I have:

a) run informal suggestions as threads (YahooRT) - a bit naughty but
it is on the record - since then I have referred others to it.

b) posted at the UKB - I liked it and will do it again if I can (that
was my personal solution to the PITA of answering the same resource
question 100 times).

c) shared files via this groups file section

d) run an informal "UKB" type post in this group (see
inlineBacktester metrics - a work in progress - don't know if and
when I will do more, in the thread, or what will pop up - if I reach
a decent conclusion it might make a good UKB article).

Mike is right.

I got just as much out of it as I gave and learnt more than I taught.

brian_z

 a--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <professor@xxx> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I agree with Dennis that the problem is that newbies and people
like me want to look for the answers, but have several problems when
they look for them.

> 1. They don't know how to search for them.
> 2. They don't know what terms to use in the search.
> 3. If they do find what they are looking for, they don't understand
how to use it.
> 4. They when they try to use it, it doesn't work or doesn't do what
they expect it to do.
> 5. When number 4 happens, they are back to the start and have the
same problems all over again.

> I know that it happens to me regularly.
>
> Tom

there is in fact a single resource which is often not used - Users
Guide.  As someone mentioned, much can be learned by digesting the
function list, array discussion, and operational procedures - all in
the Users Guide.  What would people do if there was no Yahoo list?
Read the Users Guide.  For examples there are two resources - UKB and
Library.  And, of course, there is the "single" resource called
Support.

>   Newbies will use these resources if they don't get the answers so
easily on this list to every question that they run into.  The list
should pick up after these resources have failed to provide an
answer, resulting in much more meaningful discussion and far less
bandwidth.  Just my 2 pesos.

>   Bill

the rest of us too would be more willing to look for answers if we
had a single place to go to where we could search across the
resources.

>     There will be a never ending source of newbies, so just saying
to go to this resource and then that resource, then another resource
until you discover that either the question has not been answered in
the way that you can understand it, or more likely you don't know the
right vocabulary and concepts to find what you are looking for.  Then
they come to this list and ask after wasting several frustrating
hours or days, and if the answer is that you can't do such a thing
anyway it really turns one away from even trying next time!  When I
first started, I did not know what to call things, so most of my
searches failed.

>     I try to make sure that I have at least made some kind of
effort myself before asking on this list.  As I have learned more, I
come to the list less often and with more difficult technical
questions and only occasionally get a satisfactory answer unless
Tomasz answers.

>     I am amazed at how helpful people are to the extent that they
write out a complete solution from the first hint of a question.
Unfortunately that makes others dependent on the list for free coding
services instead of a resource to learn how to do it themselves.  I
try to give the basic idea about how to solve the problem without
coding it up --as if I had time to do that for others while I am
always struggling to find enough time to do my own coding anyway.

>     It is encouraging to me to see newbies bring a chunk of AFL
that they wrote and ask why it will not do what they were trying to
do.  I shows initiative and that means they will learn from the
answer.

>     Sometimes it is appropriate to code an example for something
out of the ordinary --which becomes something to be referred to later.

>     I think it is appropriate for a newbie to ask basic questions
on the list like, can X be done in AFL and what do I search for to
find out how?

gets them started on the right path.  To paraphrase:

>     Give a person a fish and he will eat it and come back for
another.  Teach a person to fish and he can feed himself.

>     From the developers point of view, this list is valuable in one
sense in that it provides a window into what are the stumbling blocks
to understanding AB/AFL.  The common themes point to a need for some
additional ways of explaining, organizing, or presenting those
problem areas in a new way.

>     Best regards,
>     Dennis
>

>     On Aug 27, 2008, at 10:41 PM, wavemechanic wrote:
>

>       The problem, imo, is not the format but rather that too many
are willing to provide answers to elementary questions over and over
again instead of simply directing the person to the Users Guide or
UKB or past messages (use Yahoo search).  The individual is
responsible for extracting the information needed from the available
documentation/messages and only resort to this forum when they hit a
wall.  Instead, many of the new users use this forum in lieu of doing
their homework.  If they were forced to find the answers, I suspect
the number of messages would drop by at least 50% and more
interesting discussions would take place.

>       Bill

I asked on this forum was about Plot Shapes. Just couldn't wait to
get started or read anything. Since that time, I bet similar plot
questions have come around 100 times. It is very hard and time
consuming to search this list. If we had a forum/board format where
all threads relating to plot were in a certain section, I think it
would help people study more and get frustrated less. This has been
discussed before and I know most people want emails and don't want to
browse a board, but there is a lot of redundancy on this list.

8/27/2008 7:06 PM