[amibroker] Re: Inline Backtester Metrics

Another version with an example of Portfolio Emulation that uses
rebalancing.

The signals used are not significant and are only there to produce a
trade factor matrix to test the later code.

For practical use, with rebalancing, the trade factor series would
need to be changed to include open equity.

The example is just to show that, potentially, inline Portfolio
Emulation can model portfolio's without needing a lot of code.

I probably won't demo any more Portfolio Emulation examples because I
am going down a different track and also there would be so many
different opinions about what type of emulation is needed to model
a 'real' portfolio.

It is still limited to one trade at a time per symbol - the only
significant affect this has on the end result is that it uses up more
data to obtain a statistically valid dataset.

Multiplying the intitial equity by the PortfolioEquityFactor produces
the Portfolio Equity Curve for a portfolio with bar by bar
rebalancing.

I don't know anything about code prettification/conventions OR
measuring if the code is efficient with processor time... it does
work.

//P_InLineMetricsI_v3.1

/*

v3  Adds referencing of multiple symbols from a watchlist
	Portfolio emulation uses bar by bar rebalancing
	Changes EquityFactor from looping to log
	Example signal changed to a more realistic version

 note from AB User's Guide:
 Use StrExtract function to extract individual symbols from the list.
 if given watch list contains lots of symbols
 performance may be poor
 AVOID SUCH CODES IN REAL-TIME MODE !

NOMENCLATURE

B = Buy
S = Sell
BP = BuyPrice
SP = SellPrice
TF = TradeFactor == win OR loss as % (expressed as GrowthFactor)
TFO = TradeFactor array reconfigured for tradeNot = zero
GF = GrowthFactor e.g. 3% win == 1.03
EF = EquityFactor = progressive product of bar by bar GF (array)
PEF = PortfolioEquityFactor = matrix (arrays) of individual stock EF
OR system EF mathematically conditioned to emulate different
Portfolios that use MM methods
PTF = PortfolioTradeFactor
CB = ConfirmedBuy
CS = ConfirmedSell

*/

//PART IA - TRADE SERIES MODULE - CLOSED TRADE EQUITY - (ONLY ONE
TRADE PER SYMBOL OPEN AT A TIME)

Filter = 1;//allows to run as an Exploration

PTFSum = 0;
Count = 0;//counts symbols in watchlist

list = CategoryGetSymbols( categoryWatchlist, 0 );

for( i = 0; ( symbol = StrExtract(list, i ) ) != ""; i++ )

{

SetForeign(symbol);

B = Cross( C,MA(C,10));
S = Cross( MA(C,10),C);
B = Flip(B,S);//not essential with the above signals - kept in to
maintain continuity with previous code,

BP = SP = C;
CS = B == 0 AND Ref(B,-1) == 1;
CB = B == 1 AND Ref(B,-1) == 0;

TF = IIf(CS,SP/ValueWhen(CB, BP,1),0);//reconfigure trade series to
zero,

TFFlag = IIf(CS,1,0);

PTFSum = PTFSum + TF;
Count = Count + TFFlag;

Plot(TF,"TradeFactor" + "-" + symbol,i + 1,1);
AddColumn(TF,"TradeFactor" + "-" + symbol,1.9);

RestorePriceArrays();

}

interimPTF = PTFSum/Count;

PTF = IIf(Count == 0,1,interimPTF);

//non-looping EF calculation

PEF = 1;

PEF = exp(Cum(log(PTF)));
//Plot(PEF,"PortfolioEF",5,1);

Plot(PTF,"PorfolioTF",colorBlue,1);

//Plot(Count,"Count",colorBlue,1);

AddColumn(Count,"Count",1.2);
AddColumn(PTFSum,"PorfolioTFSum",1.9);
AddColumn(PTF,"PorfolioTF",1.9);
AddColumn(PEF,"PorfolioEF",1.9);

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxx> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > */
> >

> > //PART IA TRADE SERIES MODULE (CLOSED TRADE EQUITY - ONLY ONE
TRADE
> > PER SYMBOL OPEN AT A TIME)
> >
> > Filter = 1;//allows code to run as an exploration for code testing
> >
> > M = DayOfWeek() == 1;
> > F = DayOfWeek() == 5;
> > BI = BarIndex()== 0;
> >

> > B = M;//Buy on Monday
> > S = F OR BI;//first bar set to sell and then sell on Friday's
> > thereafter
> >
> > B = Flip(B,S);//latches the Buy signal to prevent concurrent buys
> >
> > BP = SP = C;//BuyPrice, SellPrice
> >
> > CS = B == 0 AND Ref(B,-1) == 1;//Confirms the sell (it has exited
> > from a latched buy)
> > CB = B == 1 AND Ref(B,-1) == 0;//Confirms buy (it enters a
latched
> > buy)
> >

> > //Plot(B,"Buy",5,1);
> > //Plot(S,"Sell",2,1);
> >
> > //Plot(CB,"Buy",5,1);
> > //Plot(CS,"Sell",2,1);
> >

> > //Plot(BP,"BuyPrice",5,1);
> > //Plot(SP,"SellPrice",2,1);
> >
> > TSFactor = IIf(CS,SP/ValueWhen(CB, BP,1),1);//TradeSeriesFactor
as
> > GrowthFactor
> >
> > // next section to be changed to log/antilog to avoid need for
> looping
> >
> > EF = 1;//initialises EquityFactor to 1
> >
> > for (i = 1; i < BarCount; i++)
> > {
> > EF[i] = EF[i-1] * TSFactor[i];
> > }
> >
> > //Plot(EF,"EquityFactor",5,1);
> >

> > //PART 1B - Progressive StandardDeviation Of The Trade Series
> >

> > Trades = IIf(CS,TSFactor,0);//reconfigures trade series so that
> > tradesNOT == 0,
> >
> > TradeFlag = IIf(CS,1,0);//returns 1 for every trade
> > ST = Cum(Trades);//Sums Trades
> > STS = Cum(Trades^2);//Sums the TradesSquared
> > CT = Cum(TradeFlag);//Counts the Trades
> >
> > StandardDevP = sqrt(  STS/CT - (ST/CT)^2  );//uses Ken Closes
> > restated StDev equation,
> >
> > //Plot(,"",1,1); plot template for copy and paste
> >
> > //Plot(Trades,"Trades",1,1);
> > //Plot(TradeFlag,"TradeFlag",1,1);
> > //Plot(ST,"SumTrades",2,1);
> > //Plot(CT,"CountTrades",3,1);
> > //Plot(STS,"SumTradesSquared",2,1);
> >
> > Plot(StandardDevP,"Cumulative StDevP",6,1);
> >

> > //Exploration report columns for code testing via manual export
> > spreadhsheet,
> >
> > // tested OK with a sample of 48 closed trades (3 were breakeven
> > trades) - StDevP agreed with Excel StDevP calculations to 4 or 5
> > decimal places
> >

> > AddColumn(Trades,"Trades",1.9);
> > AddColumn(ST,"SumTrades",1.9);
> > AddColumn(CT,"TradesCount",1.0);
> > AddColumn(STS,"SumTradesSquared",1.9);
> >
> > AddColumn(StandardDevP,"StandardDevTrades",1.9);
> >

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@>
wrote:

> > > Herman and Al,
> > >
> > > I took the scissors to my first effort.
> > >
> > > It isn't an inline backtester, rather an inline
RootCauseMetrics
> > > indicator (possibly it could be used for calculating the common
> > > Performance Metrics 'on the fly', including with lookback
> periods).
> > >

> > > This is the basic starting module.
> > >
> > > It should be possible to modify it to allow for concurrent
> signals,
> > > open trade interest, although it gets a bit harder from here
for
> me
> > > (maybe not for others).
> > >
> > > I have checked it over a few charts and so far it stands up O.K
> > > I haven't used in the line of fire though.
> > >
> > > Any potential in it for you guys?
> > >

> > > FTR
> > >
> > > This is a continuation of discussion at topic:
> > >
> > > "How To Save Metrics In Composite For Indidual BT's"
> > >
> > > A little background discussion about the idea behind the code
is
> at
> > >
> > > message # 127383 and # 127420 in the above thread.
> > >
> > > //P_InLineMetrics
> > >
> > > //Monday is used as the example because it is an unambiguous Buy
> > > //Typically most markets have Mon or Fri public holidays so it
> > allows
> > > for checking code response to duplicate buys and sells (signal
> > errors)
> > > //BarIndex() is added as a buy condition to workaround the
> > > propogating of {empty} values that can arise in the first few
bars
> > > //A latch is used so that only one trade can be entered at a
time
> > and
> > > every Sell must have a corresponding Buy
> > > //Plots the trade series, as GrowthFactor, which is equivalent
> %
> > > //No trades are accounted for and recorded as GF 1
> > > //The code doesn't identify break even trades i.e. GF == 1 but
it
> > can
> > > be modified to do so
> > > //since commissions aren't considered the Eq outcome for break
> even
> > > trades is correct
> > > //the progressive product of the GF is equivalent to the Equity
> > Curve
> > > for a fixed capital investment
> > > //if the intitial Equity is 1 the EQ is the standardised Equity
> > Factor
> > > //Equity == Initial Equity * EF
> > > //the product of individual GF's, sumbol by symbol, is the
> > Portfolio
> > > Growth Factor the progessive product of which produces the
> > Portfolio
> > > Equity Factor
> > > //same bar entry/exits are not allowed but the code can be
> modified
> > > for that if required
> > >

> > > //PART IA TRADE SERIES MODULE (CLOSED TRADES - ONLY ONE TRADE
PER