Re: [amibroker] Re: 'Rule Based' versus 'Discretionary' trading...

Title: Re: [amibroker] Re: 'Rule Based' versus 'Discretionary' trading...

Brian,

I think the primary difference is that mechanical traders can analyse their results quantitatively. They can communicate their actions in scientific terms to others who can duplicate their success.

Descretionary traders make decisions that are based on personal knowledge and circumstances, perhaps using many factors unknown to themselves. Like which journal they read the night before. Very few descretionary traders will be able to communicate (teach) their techniques to others others in any way that garanteees comparable success. For a novice traders to try and mimic their techniques witout having similar backgrounds merits caution.

This doesn't mean I have no respect for descretionary traders, they may very well do much better than mechanical traders. This is not an issue of who is better. Its just that descretionay trading techniques are virtually impossible to define in any scientific manner.

herman