Re: [amibroker] Re: Freakishly fast backtest using 64 cores

Hello,

I am quiet simply because
a) I am working (not too much time left for discussion)
b) after 64 bit fiasco (in terms of number of installed 64-bit OS)
I am not very keen to jump on bleeding edge again.
There are 3 competing and not compatible GPU computing
schemes, one from NVidia one from AMD and one from Intel.
Also Microsoft is supposed to add general purpose computing on GPU
as a feature in DirectX 11. So now we have four competing
solutions that are not compatible between each other.
History shows that usually Microsoft APIs win (they even taken over
superior OpenGL). Let's wait and see.
c) hardware requirements for GPGPU makes it very niche platform
(cards may be cheap, but you can't put GForce8800 into notebook),
making it economically not feasible unless lots of $$$ were charged per software.
d) in order to get desired speedup entire optimization process would need to
be done on GPU. Now that means you need GPU with lots of RAM (no virtual memory on GPU).
That makes the market even narrower.
Mixed CPU-GPU solutions would just spend 95%+ of time on memory transfers,
not worth the effort.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com