[amibroker] Re: Anyone actually making money?

Fred,

Thankyou very much.

I was hoping you would give us an indication of the range where
you 'normally' operate, and where you think we can go sometimes.

That's the most authorative and open answer, on "how much", I have
seen in my 2 years in the forum.

Presumably if you weren't doing 'walk forward adjustment/tuning' of
your system then, and you are know, then you must have found that
works better than what you did back in those days.
In that case, my estimation of what WF tuning can do for a system is
a long way off the mark, and not correct (I figured that around 30%
was the limit for that approach and maybe 50% for the top guns - raw
non-leveraged that is).

Re your system:

Thanks for the offer but I'm O.K and I have a rule only to use what I
can figure for myself anyway.

Plus I have another rule about efficient use of time so I won't take
up yours, or mine, on old leads.

Re selling systems:

I have thought about doing it myself and basically came to the
conclusion that I would only do it after I retire from trading, would
limit it to 100 people, charge $10000 per head and filter the
interested for aptitude (run a website with free basic training that
they have to pass before they can subscribe to the pay per view
section of the site).

People would probably think that $10k was over the top but that is a
dirt cheap price to turn someone with 100K into a millionaire within
a few years.

Now I have virtually gone off that idea altogether.

Reasons:

- trading is a high performance event and it takes so much
energy/focus that at the end I will be tired of it and not have the
energy for students
- very few people have the aptitude for super trading performance and
if they did would make it on their own anyway
- I don't have the patience for the complaints/whinging/volume of
emails that would be bound to occur
- you can't put all of those years of experience into a can
- our style ends up becoming so personal that you can't graft it onto
someone else
- if I am that good I won't need the money and can just help others
out here and there via forums like this
- very few people actually listen to what they are being taught
anyway (a lot of them would go out/do something that I didn't
advocate/lose their money and blame me)
- etc

Re Why don't traders, who get more than 30% plus go and work for a
Fund?

- they don't need the money

- I spent years working for an institution and 'retired' to work for
myself, from home, instead

- once you get there you will find they will try to make you change
your methods, no matter what they say before hand (there will be
institutional rules)

- the clients of the Funds don't have tolerance for drawdown and pull
their money (pressure is heaped on the trader)

- I couldn't possibly do it as I have a rule not to tell other
traders what I am doing (at the core) OR listen to their ideas about
what I should be doing (it messes with my head) adn they won't put
you on unless you tell them all about it and then go into meetings
where they kick your ideas around.

> with less than 3% DD's trading the long side only as there was
>nothing to
> trade on the short side

I think there are always short opportunities around, in any market.
Perhaps your 'rules for what consitutes a playable short' were a bit
tight in those days ....
counter trends can be traded but they are not as deep or prolonged?

Re market makers etc

I have thought for a while that sharing info with the retail traders
in the AB forum wasn't what I had to fear but rather the 'insiders'
who will get infront of your trades OR who are milking the edge off
well known plays before the retailers can get at them.

On the plus side ...nature abhors a vacuum so if they are milking it
another edge will appear somewhere else.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Fred Tonetti <ftonetti@xxx> wrote:

> Possible ? . Sure . I never said it wasn't possible . I only said
systems
> like this are not for sale .
>

> Personally I had a bunch of years from mid 98 - mid 03 when I made
250+%
> with less than 3% DD's trading the long side only as there was
nothing to
> trade on the short side .
>

> The OOS equity curve looks pretty much exactly like the IS i.e. to
the point
> where you wouldn't be able to tell from looking at an equity curve
which
> part of it was IS and which was OOS .
>

> If you are interested in what this system was about I'll be happy
to provide
> that information which you can backtest on past data as it is
extremely
> unlikely that similar methodologies will ever be viable again.
>

> This was on 50% margin and if the short side were possible would
have put
> one in more or less the 1000% CAR range i.e. .
>

> ~ 1.25% / Week ( Long Side Only ) ~ 2.5% / Week ( Long Side Only on
Margin )
> ~ 250+% / Year ( Long Side ) ~ 5% / Week ( Long & Short on Margin )
~ 1000+%
> / Year ( 1.05 ^ 52 )
>

> But that was in the neighborhood of about the largest market
inefficiency
> possible and for the super greedy even that wasn't enough as they
found
> illegal ways to trade systems like this after hours which
eventually brought
> attention form folks like Elliot Spitzer (LOL) who had those who
were
> trading illegally busted and applied enough band-aides to make
methodologies
> like this no longer viable even within the scope of what was legal .
>

> So again . possible ? . sure . The real question is . If you had a
system
> like this would you or anyone else for that matter sell it ? .
Besides the
> fact that the more people who knew about it the less likely it
would be
> profitable, how much is a system like that worth ? .
>

> Let's see . with $1 mm to trade a system with returns like this
over a 5
> year period results in . $1 mm * 2.5 ^ 5 ~ $ 100 mm .
>

> So what's it worth ? . How much do you sell a system like this for
knowing
> that after you sell some number of copies of it and the system
users are
> making real money with it that by definition if the market
(Traders / Market
> Makers) don't adjust to make this strategy no longer feasible that
some
> entity will be coming along to change the rules so that this is
still the
> case and as a result will also keep you from employing this
methodology.

> As a result most systems that are for sale did work SOMETIME . but
most
> likely not any more . for the reasons listed above and most likely
others as
> well .
>

>   _____

On Behalf
> [...]
it
> > all several times over.
> >
> > I liked the article.
> >
> > I have been over and around this trade many times, but not using
> > those particular indicators.
> >
> > I still learnt 1 or 2 new things and reinforced some others
> > (sometimes you need a fresh view of an old problem to open your
> eyes
> > to it a bit wider).
> >
> > I agree with his core trading philosophies e.g. his idea
> of "Reality
> > Based Logic".
> >
> > If I was recruiting some upcoming traders, for a trading team,
the
> > entry test would be "show me your 30% EOD equities system" (for
any
> > mature economy/market), "now explain to me WHY it works".
> >
> > It there isn't an underlying logic, based on market behaviour,
then
> > it is probably a statistical fluke.
> >
> > My concern with computer/AT trading is that it is fine when it is
> > means to an end but it could become counter productive if it
> becomes
> > an end in itself.
> >
> > I haven't rushed to it because I believe I need to keep looking
at
> > the charts to stay in touch with market realities (sometimes
> trading
> > seems hard but as soon as I look at the charts it is easy again).
> >
> > If I became a computer driven trader I would spend more and more
> time
> > looking at formulas, and computed results lists, and less and
less
> > time chart reading/market watching.
> >
> > Re the trade example in the article.
> >
> > It is based on some of my core trading elements:
> >
> > - it has a trend (trade with the trend)
> > - it has momentum
> >
> > AND in that situation a big countertrend (pullback), with a trend
> > continuation confirmation, performs better than a small pullback
+
> > TCC that doesn't break the trend (it is a type of contrarian
trade -

> > both pullbacks have a similar W/L but the deep pullbacks produce
> > much higher PayOff ratio) - in fact the deeper the better, as
long
> as
> > it doesn't break a key pivot point.
> >
> > I found the SFO and the tradingacademy sites by googling....
> >
> > thanks once again.
> >
> > brian_z
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com>
> ps.com,
> > "areehoi" <areehoi@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Brian.
> > > You have given Louis (and others) some excellent advice. You
may
> > find
> > > an article on Trading Systems appearing in the current issue of
> SFO
> > > magazine (I'm not sure you receive it in Australia)
titled "System

<http://www.spamfighter.com/len>