RE: [amibroker] Re: Anyone actually making money?

For a long time … global markets have had a tendency to follow each other in terms of price moves … You can see this on any given day for example by watching what happens in the US between about 11:30 AM eastern and EOD and then seeing what sort of effect this has on the opening and for that matter for the most part on the entire day in Europe tomorrow …

A trend up or better yet a big up in the afternoon in the US is almost always followed by a large upward opening in Europe and most of the time in a good size close up for the day as well …

Therefore if one had a vehicle to invest in at today’s US close that had for its closing price prices that were based on the European market close from 5 hours earlier then this is essentially like having 2/3rds of the European financial news for tomorrow in advance … Such was the case with European oriented mutual funds for a long time … This was finally laid to rest with several tactics of fund managers which included early redemption fees i.e. a 1 – 2% penalty for holding MF’s less than 30 days or by outright banning of the MF “traders” if they could catch them or by what was later termed fair valuing which was in essence a means of adjusting the pricing of European mutual funds based on what happened in the US after the European close.  This technique worked with pacific rim MF’s as well and is probably where the practice by some at least began but with more volatile results …

It’s amazing that this “hole” was left open as long as it was as it was roughly equivalent to ringing the bell and taking the cash … Getting average returns on investments of 1.25% / week without margin which usually involved a 1 – 3 bar trade were for the most part routine and there were brokers at the time who would allow margin on MF’s on trade entry … Towards the end ( Mid 2003 ) it was more difficult to come up with interesting ways to stay under the fund managers radar then to have winning trades as winners were typically 80+% of total.

As far as the not so legal part of this is concerned there were those out there who were paying off individuals in the funds “trading police” to look the other way or in some cases the fund managers themselves to be able to trade after hours when some highly favorable or unfavorable earnings reports came out on companies that had a large percentage makeup of some fund … While somewhat “enterprising” this was clearly overkill given the golden goose that was already available …