Re: [amibroker] Re: Anyone actually making money?

Louis,

I spent many years long ago writing my own rotational trading
simulation programs.  I would trade by calling the broker and making
him sit on the phone with me while I waited for the perfect moment for
the entry or exit trigger.  LOL  That was when I negotiated a
fantastic rate of 5 cents a share.  At the end of a year, I lost the
exact amount of my commissions.  The losses were actually the result
of bad overnight announcements about once a month that dropped my
positions.  I usually held only 3-5 stocks at a time, long only.

My simulations did not have a history of stocks that had sudden
losses, because I choose only 100 stocks that traded well in
simulations.  The only problem was that all stocks have these
drawdowns at some point, but my simulations did not take that into
account.  This is a well known mistake made by newbies.  If I had the
internet at the time and contact with more experienced traders, I
could have saved a year and some losses in learning this simple
lesson.  There are a lot of simple lessons that can be learned from
good traders or books written by them.

My current approach with AB is to take all the things I have learned
from very good discretionary day traders and try to figure out how to
automate much of that.  I can trade that way myself, but I get
mentally tired after a few dozen ES trades in a day and start to make
stupid mistakes from a loss of focus.  I look at AB as my trading
buddy that will keep me focused on the priority data, and present much
of the data I need in a way that I can digest in a glance.  I also
program my AFL to talk to me, to let me know when a trade setup may be
about to happen --in case I get distracted.

I will continue to incorporate "MY" trading style into the evolving
AFL system as I see ways to describe what I do in algorithmic ways.
It is amazing how much pattern recognition the eyes/brain can do in a
second or less.

The morale to this story, is to first find a technical trading method
you like.  Get to know it, understand why it would have an edge and
what its weaknesses are.  Paper trade it by hand.  Then, start to
program elements of it into AFL and test it.  Examine when it works
and when it fails.  Work with it until you feel it like second
nature.  Make a few test trades with real funds to see how it works in
the real world, then go back to the drawing board again.  There are a
lot more things to a successful trade than a good buy/sell signal.
Infrastructure issues can also have a noticeable effect.  And as noted
the market moves in longer term cycles that affect strategies.

The process of finding "YOUR" trade from scratch and developing an AB
system should only take 3-5 years to consistent profits.  A lot of the
time involved is personal training --"learning about yourself".  Just
as in any skill or profession, it seems hard and like an impossible
job when you are learning.  Then one day you wake up and suddenly you
just know how to do this without hardly even thinking about it.  That
is the day you have become a trader, because it is in your nature.

For some specifics:   I do not hold overnight.  I trade off the 1-4
minute timeframe or equivalent volume or range bar charts.  I only
trade futures on market indexes.  I do not use standard indicators in
the way that you can find in the library.  I mostly custom create my
own versions of indicators.  Any indicators I use were modified based
on developing an insight about why they work the way they do.  I only
take price and volume and time of day into consideration.  I combine a
couple of systems with opposite characteristics into one system to
reduce drawdowns.  My key metric is a consistently rising slope equity
curve with minimal drawdowns.

I have not completed all the details of my system to my satisfaction,
and I probably never will...

BR,
Dennis