[amibroker] Re: Sector Analysis

Louis,

Our last posts crossed.

Briefly (I have to go right now  but I often extend my posts at a
later time, aor in a different place, so more might pop up later)

> But even if you say this is not
> discretionnary trading, how can you backtest and really optimize or
>test a
> strategy that rely on visual and discretionary decisions?

You can't.

Nor can you defy the laws of mathematics (statistics) etc.

I am not going against the principles of system design testing and
evaluation.
I am saying I am competent enough to apply them with a limited amount
of discretion (after the systems boundaries have been established by
observation and testing).

This particular system doesn't involve otpimizing - there are no
lookbacks and nothing to optimize (that is not to say that a trader
with a highly analytical approach couldn't squeeze more out of the
trade and/or work more variations).

Market behaviour isn't going to change anytime soon - if, and when
it does, my trade will disappear from the screen.

I have backtested the fundamental trade template, that underlies the
trade (that was easy enough to do) - small things, that change on a
daily basis, can't be backtested (e.g. the data might not exist) it
might be too hard for me to do (but possible for others) or the
backtesting overheads, to go the extra mile, not worth it to me
personally).

Note: components of the system are endemic to the markets and I have
tested those thing to exhaustion in the past - now I put them
straigHt into the trade without the need to keep going over and over
the same things.

What parts of it are discretionary?

Examples:

- the setup might be there but there is not enough volatility around
so, in practise, I would sit there all day to scrape a draw or a win
(I will just pull out of the trade) - on paper it would backtest as a
small win.

- the setup doesn't look exactly the same every single day - the
underlying cause is persistent but the daily mood/individual
behaviours can change it a little or even abort it (I have to decide
if it is good to go or not, based on relative information e.g. if in
doubt I can look at  something else, that I don't always look at, to
see what it is doing).

Specific example:

Australian market time, something can change dramatically in Asia and
impact on the trade I am in - in a backtest that could register as a
big loser - in reality I might have pulled out of the trade early,
based on news OR price fluctuations in the Asian markets - possibly I
would only avoid part of the extreme losses - but in reality can you
and do you backtest those things.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Louis Préfontaine"