Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 12:12 AM
Subject: [amibroker] Study Charting dare I say bugs...

Friends,

AmiBroker is a wonderful program for many things.  In fact I use only
a fraction of its total capability for my trading style.  I trade only
single ticker (futures) real time and write whole trading systems just
in AFL in indicator mode.  This is actually more like the traditional
chart trading that is offered by many brokers.

I would expect that AB, which supports all these functions as a very
basic operating mode would be at least as good as other charting
programs.

However, even though the fundamental operations are there (and I think
potentially better), the interface (either design or implementation
bugs --I don't know which) has made it hard for me to use this product
for drawing even basic lines on the charts while trading.  In fact, I
need a second chart from my broker's application open to the same
ticker just so I can draw lines where I want them even though AB would
be superior at this if it were not for the bugs.  This has been going
on with me for over a year now and it is costing me.

I have other trading friends that I have recommended try AB in the
last week, and I am embarrassed to think what they will say to me when
they figure out that these basic features don't work properly.  I have
actually refrained from recommending AB to them for quite a while --
hoping these things would be fixed first.

I don't know how many other traders are frustrated by the same bugs,
but if you are, please join the conversation so that Tomasz knows that
this is important to you also and perhaps we can get some higher
priority on getting the study charting to work properly.

Here is a short list of my frustrating bugs --there are others on the
suggestions and bug lists, but I am only pointing out the ones that
cost profits by either making it very slow to do a simple operation
that makes one lose the trade opportunity, or creates frustration and
emotion which takes one out of the trading "Zone", or makes the line
drawn correctly to become inaccurate causing one to miss the trigger
point for a trade.  If I have missed any that you feel are costing you
profits (not the nice to have pretty things) than please add them to
the conversation.

#726.  Handles from a selected study line are not respected.  Often
several lines are anchored or pass through the same pivot points.
Price levels, Trend lines, Forks, Fibs, etc., often use a common pivot
point.  However, as a trade progresses, new pivots become more
important and the lines need to be adjusted in real time.  It is easy
to select a study just by clicking on it in a spot where it is unique,
and the handles will appear along the line.  However, unlike any other
charting program I have ever used, clicking and dragging on the
visible handle will not usually work properly if any other study
crosses very close to that handle.  The problem is that AB will grab
the earliest drawn study and not the selected one --it will un-select
the one you selected and select the oldest one and drag it instead.
After playing around for a few valuable seconds trying to grab the
right line, I end up having to move the whole line away from its
current location and reposition all its handles.  Very frustrating and
takes the time and concentration away from the trading action.

#728.  Horizontal price levels do not stay horizontal.  The horizontal
lines (price levels) do not snap to a bar with the magnet mode on.
They just are placed at the cursor level.  However, if you click on
the line, it jumps to an angled line that snaps to the bar on the left
side of the screen.  Its operation is just bizarre and causes errors
in placement of the price level after the fact.  Completely
unacceptable behavior for trading.

#890.  Study handles change when off screen.  Lets say you have the
magnet on and are zoomed out and draw a trend line between two peaks.
Next you zoom in on the trading action so that only the right hand
handle is visible on the chart.  Now say the prices have advanced to a
new peak and you need to adjust the right handle to the new peak (this
is a very common occurrence).  Most of the time, that handle that is
off screen jumps to a new bar position and is no longer on the peak
you selected.  Of course that changes the slope of the trend line to
the wrong one, but you never know it when trading and you end up
placing bad breakout trades because the line is in the wrong place
now.  Completely unacceptable behavior for trading.

#990.  Drag shadow is on the wrong bar.  When dragging a study, there
is a thin "shadow" line that shows which bar you have dragged the
handles to.  However, when the mouse is released, the study gets moved
to a different bar than the one indicated by the shadow.  This wastes
valuable time with two or three attempts to figure out which wrong bar
to put the shadow on to get the study to go where you want it.  This
is an annoyance.

And here is one more that I just found today.  If I draw trend lines
on a one minute bar snapped to peaks, then switch to a 5 minute view,
the trend lines are shown on the wrong 5 minute bars.  And heaven help
me if I select the line in that view, because it will snap to these
wrong bars.

There you have my short list.  Please speak up if these issues affect
you.

Best regards,
Dennis