Re: [amibroker] Multi Core Optimization, L2 Cache & Optimization Run Times

When TJ modifies Amibroker to enable it to take full advantage of  two cores,  can we expect that a single version of Amibroker will produce speed improvements similar to what you just posted?    Ron D

Fred Tonetti <ftonetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Given TJ?s comments about:

-          The amount of memory utilized in processing symbols of data
-          Whether or not this would fit in the L2 cache
-          The effect it would have on optimizations when it didn?t

I finally got around to running a little benchmark for Multi Core Optimization using the program I wrote and posted ( MCO ) which I?ll be posting a new version of shortly ?

These tests were run under the following conditions:

-          A less than state of the art laptop with
o        Core 2 Duo 1.86 Ghz processor
o        2 MB of L2 Cache

-          Watch Lists of symbols each of which
o        Contains the next power of two number of symbols of the previous i.e. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256
o        Contains Symbols containing ~5000 bars of data ?

Given the above:

-          Each symbol should require 160,000 bytes i.e. ~5,000 bars * 32 bytes per bar

Results:

-          See the attached data & chart

There are several interesting things I find regarding the results ?

-          The ?dent? in the curve looking left to right occurs right where you?d think it would, between 8 symbols and 16 symbols i.e. from the point at which all data can be loaded to and accessed from the L2 cache to the point where it no longer can ?
-          The ?dent? occurs in the same place running either one or two instances of AB
-          The ?dent? while clearly visible is hardly traumatic in terms of run times
-          The relationship of run times between running one and two instances of AB is consistent at 40% savings in terms of run times regardless of the number of symbols.
-          This is also in line when one looks at how much CPU is utilized when running one instance of AB which on the test machine is typically in the 54 ? 60% range.

I have a new toy that I?ll be trying these benchmarks on again shortly i.e. a dual core 2 duo quad 3.0 ghz ?