RE: [amibroker] Re: Creating "period" arrays for built-in averages

Steve,
I must admit that I dont use the variable period in any of my mov averages all that often. One of the circumstances that I will use an array as an argument is when I want to do something after a particular trigger, and I have done that through using Barssince(), making a variable array a necessary argument. In other words, period = barssince(some events) + 1. since barssince is zero based. I hope it will trigger some creative thoughts.
/Paul.

From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Dugas
Sent: Tuesday, 10 June 2008 7:16 AM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Creating "period" arrays for built-in averages

Hi - I am not trend following in the popular sense but I am trying to smooth
another array that contributes to my signals in order to make it less
volatile. Right now I am just experimenting with some different averages to
determine which might work best, including some of the popular AMA's like
VIDYA, KAMA, MAMA etc, and it dawned on me that I might be able to easily
create a bunch of different AMA's to test by just starting with different
momo/volatility oscillators and then converting these arrays to periods that
are fed into AB's assortment of built-in MA's. Except I am not sure how to
best convert the values of the different oscillators to numbers that would
work well as "periods". Ideally I would like to be able to optimize also so
I am thinking that maybe my conversion formula should include some sort of
smoothing constant whose value I can optimize on. Right now I just thought
of it and it is all swimming around in my head so I was hoping someone might
be able to point me in the right direction. Do you think you might be able
to say a few words about some of the different techniques? I could probably
fill in most of the details by googling if I had a better idea of the
possible alternatives or starting points...Thank very much!

Steve