From: "Richard Dale" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 11:29 PM
Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: JimSwindle> US STOCKS DATABASE UPDATE

We use a proprietary number  - actually an integer.  We're currently up to
almost 400,000 unique securities in our database now and growing each day.

There is no such "universal number" unfortunately.  The ISIN was supposed to
be that unique identifier but this can and does change (e.g. when a company
reorganises its capital structure, it often creates a new set of ISINs, thus
making it difficult to construct a continuous history for that security).
Also, many exchanges re-use ISIN codes too (which they're not supposed to do
under the guidelines - but they are only guidelines I guess).

Every (decent) data vendor out there has such a unique identifier (including
us).  This is rarely shown to the end user though.  Unfortunately there is
no universal indicator that is 100% effective.

Currently AmiBroker's (proprietary, structure unknown) database appears to
use the symbol as its primary means of identifying a security.  Due to
symbol overlap/code re-use issues this is not ideal.  However, changing such
a database structure is not a activity that should be considered likely.  It
will probably require a reasonable amount of code to be rewritten within
AmiBroker.  One day we hope to either interface our databases directly into
AmiBroker through a data plug-in OR write into the native (proprietary,
structure unknown) AmiBroker database.

The Microsoft Access/ODBC method of databases becomes painfully slow when
you have databases in excess of a few hundred megabytes (such as price
databases).  It's just not efficient for large databases.

Best regards,
Richard Dale.
Norgate Investor Services
- Premium quality Stock, Futures and Foreign Exchange Data for
markets in Australia, Asia, Canada, Europe, UK & USA -
www.premiumdata.net