Re: [amibroker] Re: JimSwindle> US STOCKS DATABASE UPDATE

I agree and ETFs are easy.  A number of websites, including those with RSS feeds, publish new listings (e.g., Seeking Alpha) as they are applied for and listed.  Stocks are probably similarly available from websites, exchanges, brokers, etc. but I don't follow them.  Google away.

Bill
----- Original Message -----
From: cstrader
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 11:32 PM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: JimSwindle> US STOCKS DATABASE UPDATE

Well, I'm not sure why anyone needs to pay for stuff that's available free.
For instance, CSI is a great vendor, but then Yahoo gets the data from CSI
and publishes it for free.  What's really needed is the list of tickers,
however, and perhaps that can only be done efficiently by paying for it.

For me, it's not so bad that there's a ticker that no longer exists -- I
just check to see what the last download date was -- if it's in the past
then I assume it's dead.

However, keeping up with new issues is more difficult.  I don't understand
how to scrape the Yahoo site for a list of, say all of the current ETFs, or
all of the stocks currently trading on the AMEX.  Can anyone help me with
that?

I was using Swindle's list, but now that seems to be gone... so I need to
hunt for a new list.

Thanks